Howdy!

Patrick Hastings

Hello,

My name is Patrick Hastings.

I have been working metal in one fashion or another for 21 years. I started out making sword as a hobby then became an apprentice to a custom jeweler. After that I moved on larger scale bronzes. After a thousand hours or so of chasing Bronze welds and repairs on statues I realized I had honed the ability to carve original works directly in the metal. This was left untapped until I discovered Japanese swords. It was my interest in swords that got me into metal working to start with so after falling in love with the Japanese sword fittings I saw into a whole new world of intricate sword decoration and art in general. Like Jim Kelso describes in his intro, I too am trying to learn all I can about Japanese metal techniques, the aesthetics, and styles. (I am much less experienced than Jim though). So now I have specialized my business to making Japanese sword fittings to compliment the handful of custom Japanese style sword smiths here in the west. I am now pretty comfortable with forging the basic parts I spend all my time working on my skills and techniques for decorating them and I have never been happier with my job. I am primarily self-taught drawing on my previous metal working careers and book research along with antique examination.

Thank you to Janel and Don for starting this forum. I think it will be a regular stop for me and I hope to be able to contribute something useful at some point.

You can see some of my work here My Webpage

Welcome Pattrick. I enjoyed your tutorial on shakudo. That casting flask has interested me for some time and I am glad to hear that it is useful. We look forward to your posts.

Welcome Pattrick.  I enjoyed your tutorial on shakudo. That casting flask has interested me for some time and I am glad to hear that it is useful. We look forward to your posts.

Thank you! Don and Jim.

I am glad that my website has been useful to more than myself. I have more educational stuff planned for the future, but the time is hard to find these days. For now I have more queastions than answers and that will probably never change as long as I am on "the path". Glad to be here in good company.

Archived