Hello, from Latvia!

Vjacheslav

Hello, Janel! My name is Slava, I live in Latvia.

I make small sculptures, I like netsuke very much.

I'm in a adoration of your works, wich I saw on your site!

I want to show you my works and to hear your opinion about them.

Here are some of them:

fig17rg.th.jpg fig24ef.th.jpg 20wk8.jpg

image=fig44iu.jpg"]fig44iu.th.jpg[/url] fig52aa.th.jpg

In process:

fig63pq.th.jpg

Warmest regards, Slava.

Welcome to The Carving Path Slava! Thank you for introducing yourself and your work. It would be good to know about what woods you are using, and what the inlay materials are as well. Would you be willing to tell us about how you became interested in carving small scale pieces and netsuke? It is nice to see what you have carved.

Janel

Thank you for such warm greetings everybody!

RobbinW

Thank you! I use tools (chisels) of industrial production, but most of chisels are made by me. Also I use rotary tool (tools for stomatology).

I like to share ideas and techniques too with pleasure, look at mine innovation:

p20500173vz.th.jpg

Janel

Thank you Janel, for hospitality! :)

You'r attention is very pleasant to me.

My speciality - the art-designer. I am engaged in painting, a moulding, woodcarving. Netsuke - is my biggest pasion and hobby.

My firs work "Dragon" I made in 1986 year from a beech,8 cm, from a photo.

qd0al.th.jpg

But there were breaks, couse of my basic work. Stably I am engaged in a groove netsuke from 2003 year.

In my work I use : cherry, plum, mahogany, boxwood, amber, bone of the mammoth ivory, nut, horns of a deer and an elk.

On my work's photos:

1. Vase "The Fish" - wood : birch - 20x8 cm

2. Figure "Shining Buddha" - wood : boxwood - 11cm

3. "Frog on a leaflet" - wood : boxwood - 6x4x3 cm , amber

4. "Yak" - wood : boxwood - 4x3,5 cm

5. "Fish" - wood : mahogany - 6x3,5 cm

6. In process "Snail" and "Lizards" - wood : boxwood and nut - 6x3,3x3,5 cm and 8x6x3 cm.

Soon I will open my site of my netsuke works, so I'll be glad to see you there!

Slava.

Hi Slava,

Very nice works, and thank you for sharing. I like both of the fish, but the one with inlays is my favorite. Could you tell us how you made the eyes? And what is the inlay material on the fins? I'm interested to hear these answers.

Kelly

Reading English written by people who are daring enough to use it, when it is not their first language, is a delight. There is much desire on my part to share knowledge among all who are interested in learning and sharing. It is unfortunate that language stands as a barrier. When individuals make an effort to learn English, and are willing to use it to communicate with others who use English, there is great cause for celebration and thanks!

I am not so brave, I do not try to compose messages in their languages for my friends from the Ukraine, Moldova, Japan or elsewhere. I am forever grateful to everyone who makes the effort to use English.

-----------

Thank you Slava for the additional information about the carvings in the first pictures. It is interesting to see work in progress, as with the snail and lizard pieces.

Janel

Jim Kelso

Hello, Jim! This idea at me has arisen, when has seen in work the mechanism of a spherical support. The clamp very much facilitates my work. I am glad, that it was pleasant to you. I in admiration from your fine works!!!

Good luck ! Do svidanija , :) Slava

Thank you Janel !

Language is very important for dialogue and I shall study it. I thank you for responses about my works. I shall finish a snail and lizards - by all means I shall show at a forum! These works will be inlaid by amber. Would like to hear your opinion or advice . Slava

Hello Slava,

Opinions and advice are often offered on TCP. If you have a specific question or need of advice about a material or technique, it would be helpful to those with opinions and knowledge if you would describe the particular area you wish comment on.

I love the friendly appeal of your work! The fish vase/boat catches my eye. The form, to me, seems to be a traditional depiction of a fish or dolpin used in a lot of European decorative prints and engravings. I like how you 'translated' it into 3 dimensions...

You say it's birch? I've been reading recently about a lot of northern European cultures carving birch. It must be a very different sort of wood from the paper birch we have here (midwest America). I have a small piece and it is so light, with broad growth rings I can't imagine it would hold any detail.

Perhaps it is the cold winters of the Baltic that make your birch more dense?

Good afternoon, my Friend!

Yes, it is a birch, I made miniatures of it. It is not so good, as a boxwood, but the tree is firm,

The structure is dense .For small works is not so good, sometimes breaks away. Care and accuracy is necessary in work with fine details. It cuts, polisheds, tones very good!

I have also white color and pink shades.

If want to have such tree, I can present seedlings on your Birth Day!... :)

Slava.

• 1 month later...

Hello Natasha!

Sincerely I thank you for kind words! It is very pleasant to meet to me you here. :unsure:

I somewhere did not expose work, except for Latvia. At a forum recently. Me very well here have accepted, Thanks! During long time I observe your creative potential. Your works - remarkable, such riches of imagination! Many thanks that have shared such beauty with all us!

Do svidanija!

Archived