Summer Singer

Janel

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Janel,

Looks good so far. I'll be eager to follow this one.

I'm glad to see someone else making a maquette (a clay model) before carving. I've just adopted this technique, and found that it really helps set the proportions, alignments, and reference points for a carving. The last small carving I did, I made a maquette and carved directly from it -- I never did sketch a pattern.

Kelly

The clay model idea is a bit frustrating for me but the drawing was even worse this time! The clay did help orient the subjects of insect and branch within the size constraints of the wood, and gave me some guidelines for the waste wood. Getting a piece started is so much fun!

This week I've had some good, long days of carving. The trick was to eat breakfast, drive our son to school and then go to the studio. Sounds simple? Well, that means staying away from the house, >>computer

386_3.jpg

I find it amazing that so many hours of work result in so little visual progress sometimes. The work this week involved revealing the underside of the cicada, and beginning to define the wood surface. The underside work required the making of a couple of new tools. I think a couple more would be helpful, I will wait and see. When I find myself picking up and puting down tool after tool, not finding the feel or angle to be just right for the next cuts, then I know that I need to devise a new tool. These new tools were cold ground with a slow rotary tool/water cooled, and whet stones. The blanks were the Craftsmen Sears pin punch style, the higher priced variety.

Hi Janel,

Thanks for the birthday wish, it brought me out of my virtual closet, I guess. :blink: I appreciate the honesty in your comments about 'forcing' yourself to work. We all talk about how we love to do the work, but often find it so very difficult to actually get to it. I have taken a 9-5 job over the last year to pay some bills and planned to work evenings and weekends. It hasn't worked out as well as I'd hoped. I come home from a day at work and one thing leads to another and the evening or weekend is gone. I have resorted to a technique similar to the one you adopted: when I return home I park in a different space and go directly to the studio, change and put in my 3 hours, then leave and 'drive' home for supper. It seems to be working so far. ;) Love the cidada - looking forward to more. Shane

Welcome back Shane. I never took a "Day (or) Night Job" for just the reasons you present in your message. When I graduated from college (thiryt-ummm years ago) , I promised myself to do it with my own work, then as a potter, and have managed to survive modestly since then. Real work done for others is a lot scarey for me, though there are times a regular pay check would be handy. I do hope you find time to keep your creative self stimulated and growing. It is good to know that a simple change of routing can be helpful to one's creative hours! I've already reverted, with the holiday weekend and family time. Tomorrow...maybe even this afternoon I'll see the tools again.

Dick, I kept forgetting the camera at the house. Our son was doing a LEGO movie with a friend, and was out of my trafic pattern for a few days. Soon I will try a photo or two of the tools.

:lol::D I don't know how to post it! It is fun to see these nearly 15 year old, nearly 6' tall boys on their hands and knees with Legos. They did approach the work seriously, and took nearly 250 images, which my son tied together with a piece of software. It IS cool! He found a piece of rap music which fits it too.

The cicada is beautiful and is getting even more. I seen where you have made some tools, I have done so in the past and will do more as the need comes. A while back I purchased the micro set of V and U gouges from Flex Cut. They are 1/8" and 1/16" very sharp and easy to keep sharp. I had purchased them to do faces with, now I am using them on the minature carvings. Thanks for sharing all your great work with us. Ed :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I do. It is still in progress, waiting for the oil colors to dry (cloudy and humid does not help) to add color to the branch, and to moderate the strong undercolors. I had a great, dry and sunny day on Saturday, with a quiet studio to apply the first colors.

I struggled with my decision between a monochromatic brown variation, or color. The cicada itself has such great color, and I have a hard time ignoring details... well it is colored.

386_9w.jpg

Yes I do.  It is still in progress, waiting for the oil colors to dry (cloudy and humid does not help) to add color to the branch, and to moderate the strong undercolors.  I had a great, dry and sunny day on Saturday, with a quiet studio to apply the first colors.

I struggled with my decision between a monochromatic brown variation, or color.  The cicada itself has such great color, and I have a hard time ignoring details... well it is colored.

post-2-1141825870.jpg

Janel, it is gorgeous! the colors are great... I'm sure you are happy you went that route... of course you know me, I'm a fan of color... hard to be objective when it comes to color for me.... I still think you made the right choice!

Jacques

Archived