A plea from the Admin: What to do with the future of The Carving Path Forum?

Janel

To anyone who continues to rely on The Carving Path forum:

The forum has been providing information and a platform for carvers to communicate with one another since 2005.  

The forum software provider is now requiring a minimum 40% to 55% increase in fees, and that is not something that I want to carry on paying for on my own.  

Member participation has been almost zero, falling victim to the glitz of social media rapid response.  Readership from searches continues, but meaningful interaction has not been happening for a very long time.

My intention has been to continue to provide the significant database that has grown from member interaction because of my belief that people with knowledge share that with those who have questions.  

I am facing greater expenses for providing this information to any and all, with almost zero interaction via forum communication.

One concept that I am contemplating is learning how to transfer the database to an archiving web site.  The learning curve is steep and may still incur expenses.  I would hope that this archiving step would keep the information available to anyone seeking information but without the Q&A that is currently an option with membership to the forum.

What I do not know is if anyone cares anymore.  Yes, that is a dismal outlook, but I see clearly what is not happening on what used to be a lively forum with lots of Q&A that proved vital to many carvers of small scale works.  Lives change, interests, abilities, and directions change for us all.  I am now 70 years old, and my perspective on my own life is starting to shift.

Please offer comments on how you see the future of The Carving Path forum.

Respectfully,

Janel Jacobson
Owner/Admin of The Carving Path forum

I have found the Carving Path to be a very helpful resource of rare and specialized knowledge.  It would be a shame to lose it, but I do understand the costs not making sense when user traffic is so low.  The most useful information to me has been in old existing posts on techniques, tips, how to's, etc.  An archive of all that knowledge would be very useful, but unfortunately I don't really know how to achieve that.  I would be willing to donate directly, or to some sort of GoFundMe to help fund converting the site into a permanent archive.  Perhaps international netsuke society members, and netsuke facebook group members would be willing to contribute as well.

Thank you Janel!

-Justin

Thank you Justin! 

Your positive thoughts are comforting.  I do hope to make the many years of shared information be available and searchable.   Your ideas are things that I had not thought about yet.  Much appreciation to you for your responses.

Janel

Janel,

Archive.org is a nonprofit international archiving service funded by donations.  I haven't archived anything but I think they have a pretty simple method for uploading sites.  I have accessed things others have archived. It's pretty impressive.

Mike

Be safe, Be Well, Be Kind

Janel I wish I had a good answer for you. I am getting close to the 80 age with some painful health problems. I also have a son that builds web sites for a living and I know that there is a fairly high cost for them. Since there is less use and more going to social media and many on them and using instagram, Facebook and YouTube. 
My son helped me build a free website firewoodstudio.com  even that I use less and less as time goes by. 
I do not know what to say to you. I have used the carving path in the past and made some friends on it , but I have seen that my participation has decline and some of the older members have moved on, including me, my time on the site and the internet has decreased, even on my own site. 
If it was me I would close it or transfer it to a free site if possible. I will ask my son to look at and see if has an answer or maybe an idea. Will let you know,as soon as he gets some free time to see what we have here.