Micarta

Rik Palm

Wasn't sure where to post the pic "inprogress" But I thought I'd share that I kinda like carving Micarata. I need to quickly say that my favorite materials are natural not man made. I like the micarta for things that will be abused.

anyway here's a pic of me shaping a "Maggot" knife body out of ivory micarta using needle files

wmaggotclose.jpg

Wasn't sure where to post the pic "inprogress"  But I thought I'd share that I kinda like carving Micarata.  I need to quickly say that my favorite materials are natural not man made.  I like the micarta for things that will be abused.

anyway here's a pic of me shaping a "Maggot" knife body out of ivory micarta using needle files

wmaggotclose.jpg

Hi Rik, Nice "maggot" :)

Would that be what you would call Paper Micarta or another variety?

What I was using was linen micarta.

hmmmm Kathleen good question!

Well it was made for the electronics industry. They layer canvas, paper or linen material with an epoxy like glue and use pressure to form flat pieces. Its not harmed by water, mild heat, etc... its very stable and strong for the electronics to be put on (circut boards) some knife makers like it because its pretty bomb proof stuff. Other knife makers turn their noses very sky high on it!

Rik

Archived