Hawthorne

toscano

Following the topic on Camelia Wood, I was wondering whether anyone knew of the virtues or shortcomings of hawthorne wood for small-scale carving. It seems to be plentiful in the hedgerow in the UK, but never thought of trying some out (and I am now in other realms). Judging from the characteristics of the plant I woulnd't be very surprised if it takes detail nicely.

Thanks

-t

Following the topic on Camelia Wood, I was wondering whether anyone knew of the virtues or shortcomings of hawthorne wood for small-scale carving. It seems to be plentiful in the hedgerow in the UK, but never thought of trying some out (and I am now  in other realms). Judging from the characteristics of the plant I woulnd't be very surprised if it takes detail nicely.

Not sure how well it takes detail, but the vast majority of hawthorn I've felled has been borderline unusable - it seems there is a boring beetle (name escapes me, sorry) that vigourously enjoys the live wood... I've got a small amount, it might even be dry by now.

Archived