Moving

toscano

OK, so in the grand schema of things this isn't really a 'significant' event. In the rather smaller schema of my life it seems rather large though :)

Unless something goes wrong in the next few weeks (and it could, but it's unlikely) we are purchasing our first house :blink:

Way more than we can afford, but I have been reassured that's the way to go :P

The pertinent issue is the lack of workshop. In my current (smaaaaaall) rental house I have a garage which has become my woodworking and carving shop. The new house, though much larger has no garage or workshop space. I am between two minds whether this is a good thing. On the one hand I am sad because woodworking is really enjoyable for me. Also, the 'shop' is a great retreat from anything 'household'. On the other hand, we will now have a dedicated room as a study, where I can pretty easily do carving I believe. All I need is an open window and a good vacuum cleaner (for most jobs anyway).

So, along with the nervousness that stems from the purchasse I feel apprehensive about how the new space will accomodate my 'hobbies'. I can imagine most of you have a dedicated area you work in, but also imagine that at one point or another you worked 'at the kitchen table', so to speak. Any thoughts about how to organise carving in a way that one can simply put things away after it's done for the day? I am thinking of making a toolbox/stand like a writing box (e.g.) that can take the tools/projects in drawers and has a surface on top to carve on. Any design thoughts/ideas/recommendations?

Thanks a lot for being there

-t

Do you have the book by Robert and Miriam Kinsey, about the Japanese netsuke carvers? There are images of them at work... I don't have the title on hand. If I get generous with my time, I will find, scan and post the images sometime. It appears that they may work in their home spaces, with drawers and compact arrangements.

You could rededicate the study to studio, and make the living room/dining room/study :P:blink: .

Congratulations. It is a big step! Do you have any yard space that could take a 10x10' shed, that would slip under the zoning or building codes? I know someone in CA who set up a series of such sheds for her work...

Janel

Janel,

that's a good idea. I remember the photos you are referring to. My local library has a copy of the book so I'll take a look. As for the shed, I doubt that it would fit or be enough for woodworking needs.

I am pretty confident I can make arrangements in such a way that will accomodate my needs. I started working on a garden table that should be large and sturdy enough to also allow me to do some woodwork with handtools in the yard. I am also trying to design/make a toolbox/work area for portable carving. I might post designs/ideas to see what you think.

thanks

t

Janel!!! :blink:

I am impressed. Thanks a bunch for the pictures. They more or less confirm my thoughts that something compact can be arranged. When I figure something out I'll post some pictures.

As for the Bay Area, we are indeed blessed with changing seasons, and a 5-6 month dry season that allows work outdoors. Not sure I could survive otherwise.

-t

ps. I like the new avatar

Archived