carving

Guest katfen

Wow! What a story this figure has to tell! Is it boxwood, or of wood? I know a collector who has a strong interest in skulls and skeletal iconography and art. If this were available... he would appreciate information about it, I would imagine.

This is fascinating. What can you tell us about it?

Incredible! I have seen something like this in the past decade, perhaps in Chicago or New York, when at a netsuke convention, and a side trip to the major museum with other carvers. The carved detail is awesome, truly. Thank you for bringing these to TCP!

certainly looks a lot bigger than 24 cm (10 in). It's a wonder they've been able to keep it in one piece- Maybe the repairs are very good :)

It's a shame not to see it in context...Do you think it would have been part of a tableau in a church? or a one-off carving?

One reason there was such a fascination in the inevitability of death, particularly in middle and northern Eurpe, was because in the 15th and 16th centuries, the "german" lands (i.e., the Holy Roman Empire), were ravaged by numerous bloody religious and sectarian conflicts. In addition, if you remember your Bruegel paintings, there was the so-called "mini ice-age" around this time that also added to the general miseries. Not much for the good old days huh?

Ralph

Archived