New member from Kentucky

jhounshell

Greetings everyone. My name is Jeff, I just stumbled upon this site today and instantly had to join. I must say I am very impressed with the work many of you have posted.

I live just outside Lexington, horse capital of the world. I am Creative Director for a national sports marketing company based in Lexington. I have a bit of a background in fine arts, but it's been a very long time...

My interest in carving started from my passion for wood and woodworking. I have a brand new set of Pfeil gouges and chisels in the shop, waiting for their first taste of northern basswood. If anyone has input on the best place to start, I'm all ears.

Thanks for having me, and I look forward to many fruitful discussions in the future.

Jeff

Welcome to The Carving Path Jeff! Thank you for introducing yourself.

Well, a first good rule is to never cut towards your flesh :) . Another is to keep your tools sharp! The forum SEARCH function will bring to your attention discussions about tools, woods, or what ever you enter as a key word, be it dust collectors, wood suppliers, what might keep our ears busy while working...

Do you draw? What might you want to carve? Probably start simply and see how the tools feel. The key is to begin!

You are welcome to ask and answer questions here. We are a friendly and diverse bunch of folks who all share an interest in carving in the small scale.

Janel

Thanks everyone.

Janel, yes I draw regularly. I'm fortunate to have a job that allows me to keep my hand skills fresh.

As luck would have it, I am home today with a "sick" child (of course he's about as sick as I am). So I pulled out an 8" x 12" piece of basswood, and drew out a pattern of a celtic cross. I figure a little low relief carving is probably my safest way to start. If I am happy with the finished result, I'll share it (I probably won't be, I am about as picky as they come).

Talk to you all soon.

Archived