New pin

Jim Kelso

My excuse for lack of forum time is the Smithsonian Craft Show(April 20-23). You can see more info under the Events heading. Come see me if you live in the area.

I've put the owl screen aside for the moment and am making a pin for the show. The motif is a Japanese Sword Fern, also known as a Painted Fern. The metals are copper and 18k gold, soldered, pierced, carved and engraved. The photo shows progress thusfar, with the larger fronds carved and the rest pencilled in. 2.75" L-R

post-4-1143158328.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DFogg

I will try to upload one and see what is going on.

OK the permissions aren't set right. I am not sure how to do this so I sent in a ticket. Part of the shake down, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, could you give us a technical description (with layman's brevity :) ) of the metals used? I've been recently looking over the "Lethal Elegance" catalog of the Boston MFA sword furnishing show trying to gain a better understanding of metals, alloys and patinas.

Thanks!

Piece looks great- it comes at the same time as the sword ferns in my garden! I hope you met with success at the DC show.

Thanks all. I had a really good show(best since 2002). I didn't sell that pin, but have a solid plan "B" B)

I'll write a more complete review of the show tomorrow as I seem to be suffering from post show stress relief with accompanying stomach distress(I'll spare you the details) which has left me feeling like I've been through the wringer.

Jim, could you give us a technical description (with layman's brevity :) ) of the metals used? I've been recently looking over the "Lethal Elegance" catalog of the Boston MFA sword furnishing show trying to gain a better understanding of metals, alloys and patinas.

Thanks!

Piece looks great- it comes at the same time as the sword ferns in my garden! I hope you met with success at the DC show.

Hi Doug. I used 18k yellow gold, copper and shakudo(96%copper/4%gold). The shakudo is from Phil Baldwin.

The patina is the Japanese "irotsuke" or "niage" process using rokusho, which colors the copper and shakudo, leaving the gold uncolored. I'll try to post some process photos tomorrow.

I envy the appearance of ferns in your garden. Ours are huddling sub-surface wondering when it will be safe to come up. Maybe snow tonight.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Magnus. I've thought for years about raising and have an extreme amount of admiration for the technique and those who practice it. I think it always comes down to there are only so many hours in a day, plus these days, I have to be careful with my elbows and repetitive stress. I have made a cast vase in shibuichi with engraved and chased detail. The form was lathe turned.

I have thought about collaborating with someone who raises. Do you raise?

post-4-1150367552.jpg

Thanks Magnus. I've thought for years about raising and have an extreme amount of admiration for the technique and those who practice it. I think it always comes down to there are only so many hours in a day, plus these days, I have to be careful with my elbows and repetitive stress. I have made a cast vase in shibuichi with engraved and chased detail. The form was lathe turned.

I have thought about collaborating with someone who raises. Do you raise?

Your vase is beautiful - elegant - thank you for showing it. I do some raising myself, but as a meditation only and my pieces tend to be quite organic and loose. I have a friend Greg Wilbur who raises and has been a mentor in that practice- he has done the Smithsonian show before so you may have run into him - he likes collaborations, but his work is organic to the extreme. I mostly raise in copper and bronze and some sterling - I 'll send you some photos of my next piece and you let me know what you think.

Again - beautiful work Jim.

Thanks,

Magnus

Archived