signs of Spring

Jim Kelso

A sure sign of Spring in this area is smoke and steam rising from the maple sugar shacks. Here is my friend Stanley Morse tending his evaporators. It takes about 40 gallons of sap to produce one of the syrup. There are big semi automated outfits but Stan does it slowly and with lots of attention. I came away with a gallon of Grade A. The tiny colored bottles in the window are for grading by color.

post-4-1143637440.jpg

The weather here has been the right pattern for a good sap producing year. When I first moved here more than 30 years ago, a neighbor and I produced syrup for our two families. It was a great "right of spring" activity to share. I can almost smell the sap cooking with your photograph. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I have been noticing the return of the migratory birds. Last week we saw cranes flying, likely they were Sandhills, but it really seemed like a pair of Whooping Cranes which are much more rare. I saw many Sandhill Cranes from the train on my return from Chicago last Saturday.

I am curious, do other TCP members from other countries have maple trees which produce the sweet sap that is used to produce a syurp or sugar product?

Archived