springtime

I've got a couple of projects going now- so I thought I'd share a recent completion. The dogwoods around here haven't bloomed yet, so this one's a little ahead of the game.

Materials are ivory- lightly stained with alder cone dye, and cherry.

I've been thinking about doing some jewelry/body ornament pieces lately.

post-10-1144162994.jpg

The hair pin would be wonderful to use. I used to have hair down to my rump, but changed the look about two years ago. It would have been so nice to use such a lovely pin, someone will be lucky to have it.

A technical question, how did you secure the ivory to the wood?

Thanks Janel...too bad you cut your hair- I'm looking for someone to model it for a photo ;)

The ivory fits quite snugly into the pocket cut into the cherry. 5-minute epoxy secures things a bit more, in addition to some slight groves I filed along the sides of the ivory, near the bottom. I figured it would give the epoxy something to grip on to.

This was the first time I've worked to this extent with ivory. I'd like to thank those on the list who shared their knowledge of scrapers- I've made a few and they've paid off.

Also, a quick tip: I used a toothbrush and toothpaste for one of the polishing stages. In the past, I've found that polishing with abrasive papers and cloths can remove details and crispness you want to keep. The toothbrush seems to have gotten around this problem. I guess it works like the horsehair brush Jim Kelso pointed us towards, in conjunction with metal polishing.

Lovely, Doug. Has all the earmarks that I look for in good art: elegant and subtle. Also, an excellent and, I hope, profitable idea for you. As Ford once said, "I might nick it sometime, ta." Me too. I showed it to my daughter, who has long hair and likes hairsticks, and now she wants one, or a dozen... Guess I should have kept my mouth shut.

Thanks for the compliments everyone :unsure: I'll try to get some close-ups next time I set up my photo lights, etc. The photo above was just a quick one with light from a nearby window.

The ivory accent on the shaft came by in an unplanned way- the shaft and the head are joined together with a central peg running inside- though the grain runs continuous between the two. While I had everything disassembled, I thought an ivory addition would dress things up a bit...it seems to have given the piece a little perk.

The edges of the cherry didn't stay quite as crisp as I would have liked, but the grain patterning and chattoyance take the eye away from it.

Archived