Japanese metalwork

Dick Bonham

This is the finest or one of the Finest Pipe sets I have ever seen. A friend picked it up and allowed me to share it with you. Khalili has one set miss matched by the same maker signed Ryumin in "Metal Work Part Two" page 141. This set is all matched and very large. The Netsuke is one of the seven immortals and the clasp is the other six in high relief with the far right figure in solid gold. I took it apart and photographed it so you can see how it was created. It is silver, shakudo, gold, copper etc. The silver is patina dark. It has a matching ojime and silver chains with Dutch leather. On the inside flap is the Treasure boat in silver and the ojime has all of the treasures in its design also in mixed metals. I have close up shots if anyone would like to see them.

Dick

post-15-1145393027.jpg

post-15-1145393052.jpg

post-15-1145393070.jpg

post-15-1145393364.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hello Dick,

thanks for posting those, pretty cunning work :rolleyes: , never fails to remind me just how sophisticated those workers of old really were. I assume that the close up is slightly enlarged, so the actual piece is even finer than is at first apparent.

and Dutch leather too, it is so difficult to get anyone from the Netherlands to volunteer their hide in the service of art nowadays :unsure:

regards, Ford

Hi Janel and Ford,

The photo of the clasp is double life size. The clasp measures 4" across. The netsuke is large, 2 7/8" D. Many of these tobacco pouches are large and of the highest quality. The metal work was created by the same craftsmen who made sword furniture. When the samurai could no longer wear swords they replaced them with the tobacco pouch. One phallic symbol replaced by another. Here is a closeup of the gold figure on the clasp.

Ford,

The Japanese liked to use Netherlander's hide because the "guilders" made the texture on it gilt and the stain from tulips gave it color.

Dick

post-15-1145459187.jpg

Guest ford hallam
The Japanese liked to use Netherlander's hide because the "guilders" made the texture on it gilt and the stain from tulips gave it color.

Dick!, you should be pun-ished for that :rolleyes:

regards, Ford

Archived