Convolutions

Donn Salt

Guest ford hallam

Hi Donn,

that is absolutely beautiful, gorgeous. I want one! :)

thanks for yet more inspiration and temptation.

regards, Ford

Thanks Ford.

In this case the inspiration was from a client who commissioned the piece so I can't take full responsibility here. However the form is so similar to designs in my sketch books there was an immediate affinity and understanding.

Cheers

Thanks Slava.......yes 'harmony' is the key.

Hi Donn,

Did you edit the text in the description? Didn't I see that the piece was 1.75 inches? If so, what tools did you use to bring this convolution to completion? Those spaces are very small to be working in at that size.

Janel

Hi Janel,

Here is the selection of diamond burrs used to carve this piece. They are on normal 3/32" shafts which will fit any standard handpiece. Personally, for carving small jades, I use an air driven, pattern makers, die grinder unit at 80,000 revs. Water feed over work is essential as coolant and lubricant.

Diamond marks removed by hand using silicon carbide sticks/files cut from old 'J' bonded lapidary grinding wheels. Starting with 360 followed by 600 grit size. Finished with 600 & 800 grit, wet and dry silicon carbide sanding papers. Used from wet to dry either on rotating tools or occasionally long strips in inaccessable areas.

Trust this enlightens a little.

Cheers,

Donn

post-97-1145898324.jpg

Thanks Dick and Ed. The form is incredibly intriguing. A simple curve repeated half a dozen times turns into something else altogether. A classic example of simplicity being the essence of good design.

The 'artistry' is initially recognising the potential, the rest is pure tenacity and perserverance in the technical execution of the vision.

Yes Janel...... it is 1.75". Perfect pendant size. Have been cleaning up a better sequence of progressions which will be ready later in the week if pertinent.

I know the creatures you speak of Doug. Have always envisioned the likes of those floating through the air instead of water. Now wouldn't that be cool!

For the past 12 years or so I've lived in a quiet coastal area with small marina and easy marine access for scuba diving which my son and I wish we had more time to indulge in. In this environment there are a species of large sting rays whose undulating wing action is very similar to the 'Spanish Dancer'. Just so majestic, up to five foot wing span. Often observed in the marina with wings breaking the surface along the embankments as they cruise around for snacks.

Will source some pics of these magnificent beauties if interested.

Donn

Wow. Thank you Derek. Moebius forms have been a favorite of mine for many years. Although this is not such it carries all the contours used in carving them. A pic of one was posted in tutorials some time ago under Uroboros, post 12. Took a while to find but the search facility finally did it.

Cheers...

Archived