Cousins

Hey all,

This is how I occupied my time for the three months I was waiting for surgery. :) I could only hold my tools for ten minutes every hour or so, but I had plenty of time to kill, laying on the couch.post-130-1145826269.jpgpost-130-1145826365.jpgpost-130-1145826446.jpgpost-130-1145826496.jpg

My dear, sweet wife let me lay on the couch with an old towel tossed over my chest to catch my chips and dust.

I Started in Sept. and finished the week before Christmas. Overall demensions are 5 7/8 inches long x 1 3/4 inches wide x 1 3/4 inches high.

Guest ford hallam

Hello Derek,

excellent rendition, I particularly like the texture of the skin, it really transends the medium and as Mike points out in suggesting that it could almost be breathing, the surface appears alive. The coils of the tentacles also suggest its movement, very clever. The juxapostion of the the snails shell is a nice touch too, I wonder though, if the contrast would have been better expoited by having the octopus actually "handling" the snail. After all they are remarkably intelligent and curious creatures.

Come to think of it, with all those highly adaptive and sensitive linbs they'd probably make excellent carvers :)

regards, Ford

Ford,

Thanks for your kind words. I forgot to post the picture of the underside of the piece. post-130-1145922607.jpg

While not quite handling, the hidden arm is approaching through a hole in the kelp. I composed this piece on the fly, it started as a more compact design. Ther idea of the kelp and the snail came after I was underway. I do like the idea of a multi-armed embrace though. As to the texture...I'm a sucker for noodling.

Cheers,

Derek

post-130-1145922667.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hi Derek,

thanks for showing the underside too, the additional detail certainly does add to the narrative, so to speak. I must confess that I'd not realised that the "base" was kelp, now all is clear.

Keep on noodling and I trust you're healing well.

regards, Ford :)

Jim,

The eyes....Well my jury is still out on them. I have toyed with the idea of doing an inlay, giving them more zip, so, yes they are still a little sleepy. Dreaming of inlay perhaps. Cephelopod eyes are quite intriguing. Their pupils are sorta droopy dumbell shapes. They appear cold to me, but still full of curiosoty and a deep intelligence.

And to all who have posted comments, I thank you all for your kind and supportive words. It is a little daunting to toss your bread upon the water in a pond brimming with such talent, and I have learned so much from studying all of the work presented in this forum. Believe me, I consider you all as tutors.

Much thanks,

Derek

I vote for leaving the eyes alone! Fancy eyes are fine when they will add to the work, but in this case I don't see any real added value. And at this stage of the carving, there's a great risk of making things worse with a small slip of the grinder or gouge. Eyes should probably (most often/usually/more than occasionally/not hard and fast rule/but not in every case/fill in the blank) go in before final surface carving and texturing.

It's a lovely carving just as it is - love the arm below the kelp leaf. Call it done and proceed to the next brilliant idea!

• 2 months later...

Hello Derek,

I'm quite new to this site and am still checking out all the amazing and inspirational works. Your carving is beautiful - as so many have said already - the texture of skin, the composition and the kelp are truly fine. Thanks so much for sharing and I hope you are well and carving more hours a day. Hope to see more of your work soon.

Magnus

• 7 years later...

Archived