Scrimshaw

Rex Pepper

Does anyone know where to find a tutorial for doing scrimshaw? I am wanting to add some detail to a stag antler handle. What inks/dyes will stay in place over time? Are there better techniques to use instead?

All suggestions greatfully accepted.

Rex

Does anyone know where to find a tutorial for doing scrimshaw?

Bob Hergert has a pretty good DVD at http://www.scrimshander.com/ - IIRC, he tends to favour oil paint.

Just seen he's now got one on using a Turbo Carver too... I'll probably hold off on that one for now, as I really, *really* need to practice more with the tools I've got rather than lusting after more tools.

Thanks Greg

I have been trying to get into the blades site for a couple of days now but no luck, I will keep trying.

I have looked at your site many times, again WOW!! The level of detail you acheive is fantastic. Love your blades as well.

I was probably being a bit optimistic hoping to do the mico scrimshaw that you do. I am looking at adding some colour, including black, to some antler. It will have some fine feathers carved into it. What ink/paint/dye would you recommend. The knife will probably be more display than use but I would like it to last.

Cheers

Rex

• 2 weeks later...

Archived