Egg Folding Knife

tsterling

Finally got something finished out of several pending projects. This little friction folding knife turned out to be a real handful. There’s carving, inlay, forging, sawing and grinding steel, silver soldering, non-ferrous metalwork, pyrography, lathe work, and lots of stepwise gluing/cleanup. Whew!

Thanks for looking…

post-11-1151791345.jpg

What a nice knife! The pyrography of the spider and beetle are wonderful! I'd like to see this piece when it has been used for years, thinking that the patina of age and use will be graceful with this one. Thanks for sharing! It is good to see new work!

Very Nice! Is there any lock on this or does the length and shape of the tang make that unescessary? Beautiful inlay work all around. Thanks for showing this.

Magnus

Hi Magnus,

This style knife is based upon the first folding knives, and has no springs or locks. I've seen examples from as far back as the 1700s, and possibly one from the viking age. Called primitive folders, friction folders, old world folders, or just penny knives. The long tang is held down by the hand and keeps the blade from closing while in use and is surprisingly effective. The only problem with them is keeping them closed in your pocket - for those I intend to be used, I make a tight little leather pocket sheath.

Hope this answers your question...

Archived