Old Frog, New Frog, Apple

Janel

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. I look forward to seeing the work of some other members too! Is anyone facing new challenges or getting work done now? I am reluctant to make this forum my own show and tell place by being the only one posting any thing.

I like seeing your carvings at this stage Janel. I try to imagine what the various forms will be -the frog, in this case is obvious- in the end. It's a bit like cloud-spotting :o

As for me, I'm in my summertime slump - gardening chores and too many nice evenings beckoning me and my bicycle. You'd think inspiration would come as the miles tick by, but usually it's just some nagging song I can get out of my head :lol:

-Doug

I did a bit of an update to my web site. Click here to go to the in progess page. When possible, I will add additional photos as it progresses.

Thanks Doug. I am the only one to see the thousands of carvings each piece becomes by the end of every carving session, though I always wish that I could share that part of the process (duh! smiley, that is what I am doing with these photos!). This particular round is bringing forth a limited degree of detail, toe shapes separated from the mass, leaves being undercut, bodies shaped before ukibori and details. When there are so many features, with toes, bellies, elbows, leaves, branch character, a fairly complicated order must be followed, and all parts must be worked rather equally to a point. Where one part meets another and relates to other parts, where it ends up in the layering must be determined, and the parts must flow and work together... more parts, more decisions. The last few sessions have been challenging, the old frog is not an easy concept to envision and execute, the undercutting is sometimes tricky with the grain of this piece of wood. No photos yet of the deeply undercut parts yet, but I was again left wanting for the right tools tonight!

How about just casting about in your carving area, handling all of the wood you have and daydream a bit? Sometimes a piece of wood has a number of good suggestions to make, and may "kindle" a spark of an idea. This is aimed at Doug at the moment, but is also for everyone who might be facing a "blank canvas" or needs a nudge to get going.

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely frog or pair of frogs - I wasn't sure... anyway I was moving things at the back of my house and found a small frog - checked it out for a while and then popped in in my neighbours pond (very deep but not very wide - very cool to look deep down into - plenty of Koi etc) - any more pics ? Like someone said above - big leap !

Thank you Edward. Pics are not possible at the moment, I am away from home, but in time, I will add more. I have been taking some photos during the carving process. I'll post them here when I am back home and resume my carving work.

• 2 weeks later...

These images are from just before sanding before doing ukibori. The wood was wetted to raise the grain, next it is to be sanded then pressed with rounded tools. I've done that, but don't have still photos, just movies. The next step of shaving and sanding to the bottom of the compressions has taken place with the old frog, but no photos of that yet either. I was called away suddenly and have been gone for a while. More photos will be added when I get back to doing carving. . .

397_5w.jpg397_6.jpg

My camera takes 35 second video, which I unload to a storage unit. I don't know how to tie the clips together, so I double click and the default viewer opens the short video. It is not very smooth, but I have tried to remember to use the camera more often with this one. There is too much memory in each video to upload it to the internet, and, I don't know where it would go anyway. Likely, I could burn the clips onto a DVD, and take it from there. There is very little narration, because I don't usually talk while I am carving! I am not a videographer. I just know if I don't do the recording like this, then there is no chance of sharing with anyone, so at the least there are the clips.

Sometimes, I think that having a camera aimed at the carving spot and having live feed to the universe would be so very interesting to watch, and universally boring for many :angry: . I'd love to be a fly on someone's shoulder while they are working. (Well, an unseen one anyway, I would not want to be swatted away.)

Quick Time Player opens the clips on my Mac, which are around 9.4 MB each. My modem speed in the country is about 10 minutes per MB for up and downloading. Not a good way to share mulitple clips.

I am not really back in the saddle yet, but did harvest the memory card a couple of days ago, while passing through the studio. There is so much to catch up with the desk work and from my absence from home. Slow and steady, and I'll get there someday. I am eager to be at work again.

That's a big jump! Lovely :angry:

Hello Jim,

A lot of things have changed in your webpage while I've been away. You've done a lot of beautiful work, and especially I loved those two rings, MEJ 16 and MEJ 17. They are marvelous.

Best regards,

dagistanli.

• 1 month later...

I was concerned about the ukibori on the old frog. I was called away in late July, and the rest of the summer was lost to things other than carving. Today I finally found the carving bench on this beautiful sunny afternoon. Today's work completed the ukibori for the piece. The little frog - from compressions to raising, the old frog (whose compressions were shaved and sanded in late July) sat for two months waiting for the hot water. I am pleased to report that the time away was not noticed by the compressed wood! (Wiping sweaty brow smiley!) Phew! It worked!

To see more photos click HERE.

397_detail1w.jpg

Archived