Carving stones

NuViking

While on a rock hunt with the local rock and jem club I was pionted toward a large peice of dolomite. I found this was comical timeing considering we had a lady speek on dolomite the night before at the monthly meeting. I have been looking at this large rock in front of my door since I brought it home almost a month ago. Tonite I decided to cut some slabs of the dolomite after createing a couple of fracture lines to make the rock more managable. After cutting a couple of slabs I grabed some of my woodworking tools and started to scratch the slab and found it carved surprizingly easy :lol: . Now I will be cutting some bloks and putting them aside for a winter project.

If you come accross this rock try it. You will like it.

Rock on.

Pictures of the dolomite?

I used to use a glaze that was 20% powdered dolomite when I was a potter. Someone gave me some steatite, which is a green color, rather on the cool side. He said that it was carvable.

Greetings NuViking. we would love to see some of your carvings, especially in stone. I also work stone (at least before I discovered antler and fossil ivory) now and again. Possibly you can give me some pointers and/or vise-versa. Do you just collect for carving materials or collect fossils and crystals also. I have been collecting for about 50 years. Hope to hear from you.

Jimmy McNeil

On a return trip from doing an art fair in the west, my husband brought back some pipestone from south western Minnesota. This soft red stone is used by Native Americans to carve pipes and effigies from. It appears in a seam perhaps 2-5 inches thick, between layers of a lovely pink/red stone called Souix Quartzite. One piece is red, the other is from Kenora, Ontario and is black. It is worked with files and sanding papers. The feel is waxy/soapy, and is likely a compressed sedimentary clay layer which did not metamorphose to a harder form. I do not know all of the geology of its formation. The seam of rock appears near the surface, but is under feet of earth and rock. Native Americans have been collecting and using this resource for centuries. For more information CLICK HERE.

Archived