Ratking

Ko Baas

post-142-1152651499.jpgMore then a year ago someone asked me if I could carve a ratking. A ratking is a number of rats tied together with their tails. This can happen when they crawl over eachother in a small space. See this link for more info: Ratking

A long time I couldn't decide how to start. It should be small, netsuke size. I can't draw or model from clay. So at last I just started on a piece of mammoth ivory and see where it leads. I have no design, just carve rats until all the space is carved. And there has to be a knot included.

Here is a picture of the beginning of the carving.

I was just thinking, back a few decades, about when hairstyles used the technique of "ratting" a portion of the hair to give it elevation. Snarls were produced, quite a tangle, not unlike the "ratking" knot of tails!

Watching a piece develop from the outset is very interesting to me. We all have our own way of approaching the start of a carving and moving through steps to completion. Ko seems to be moving from one side through to the other, and reserving some for later. The himotoshi is in place already.

My own approach is to work all the way around and work towards blocking in all the parts, then continue with successive rounds until the time comes to begin the details, bringing the whole piece along at about the same rate. Being that I do not always carve netsuke, I often wait until I know that a natural himotoshi will or will not work before carving it.

I like watching the work of other's developing. Thank you Ko for posting photos.

Thanks for the reminder of Ko's web site, which I am having a look at now. Thank you Ko for the great Tools page. There are several tools I would enjoy using and having a try with. You describe your carving activities as a hobby, but in my opinion, you are investing some serious time with it!

Your "Ratking" becomes better and better! I think it'll be a wonderful piece! I'll finish my carving in a week or so! :D It is always so interesting to watch the photos of the process! Good luck!

Ko, your Ratking is indeed getting better all the time - I am excited to see what the knot itself will look like -- so many variables and possibilities - how many tails will there be?

Hello Natasha,

Have you posted any recent "progress photos" of your dragonfly/ grasshopper?

Magnus

• 2 weeks later...

Archived