Rotary diamond tools

magnus homestead

Hello,

I'm thinking that there are probably a few of you out there that do some gem or stone carving as well as wood and ivory. I am very pleased with all the information I've been gleaning on the wood carving tools, thanks to Edward's recent post, and will be adding to my tool set so I can do justice to my new boxwood. I am also wanting to do a lot more carving in jade and quartz. I started carving in jade 30 plus years ago, learning from a carver from Hong Kong. Back then, we made our own tools out of nails, tin can lids and brass sheet , etc which we charged with silicon carbide grit held to the wheel with our left hand as we carved. The wheels were spun in a stationary chuck using step pulleys and a one horse motor. It was a nice set up and I am going to build myself a carving bench just like it. The diamond tool technology has come a long way since 1972, so I want to outfit myself with some proper tools for very minute carving. The trouble I'm having is finding any. My local lapidary supply shops only have rather crude general purpose tools which I have tons of. I'm sure they have great tools in Ida Oberstein but I haven't been sucessful getting past the plethera of chinese tools on the internet. If any one can set me on the right course, I would be oh so happy! :D ! Perhaps there is a book out there as well that would help me get up to speed as well.

Thanks everyone.

Magnus

There are a couple of books on lapidary carving by Henry Hunt, I don't know if they are still in print .

Lapidary carving for creative jewelry

American lapidary : Designing the carved gemstone, this is more recent .

The only other book I can think of is ;

The technique of glass engraving by Jonathan Matcham and Peter Dreiser which goes into wheel carving with copper wheels and grit .

Tim.

There are a couple of books on lapidary carving by Henry Hunt, I don't know if they are still in print .

Lapidary carving for creative jewelry

American lapidary : Designing the carved gemstone, this is more recent .

The only other book I can think of is ;

The technique of glass engraving by Jonathan Matcham and Peter Dreiser which goes into wheel carving with copper wheels and grit .

Tim.

Thank you Tim.

Magnus

• 1 month later...

The very best, by miles, of the commerical diamond points are from an outfit called Mountain Mist. They are alas also the most expensive by miles-- prepare to faint-- but they last forever and are available in a wider variety of grit sizes than from any other source, all the way up to prepolish. These folks also sell the best diamond paste for charging wooden points or wheels.

Mountain Mist

Michael Dyber, perhaps the best known American gem carver, published an article about making your own tools in Lapidary Journal awhile back... I think it may be online. He uses nails, carriage bolts and so on and presents a simplified way of doing it in said article (the guy is a master machinist so his own methods are different).

Henry Hunt's books are still in print.

• 2 weeks later...
The very best, by miles, of the commerical diamond points are from an outfit called Mountain Mist. They are alas also the most expensive by miles-- prepare to faint-- but they last forever and are available in a wider variety of grit sizes than from any other source, all the way up to prepolish. These folks also sell the best diamond paste for charging wooden points or wheels.

Mountain Mist

Michael Dyber, perhaps the best known American gem carver, published an article about making your own tools in Lapidary Journal awhile back... I think it may be online. He uses nails, carriage bolts and so on and presents a simplified way of doing it in said article (the guy is a master machinist so his own methods are different).

Henry Hunt's books are still in print.

Thanks for all that info - I have also found a wonderful source recently in Brasseler USA. They manufacture diamond tools for the dental trade and have very detailed catalogues to order from - many sintered wheels and carvers as well. Many come in as many as eight different grits! Sounds a lot like what you are saying I might get from Mountain Mist - I will definately check them out as well.

Happy carving!

Magnus

P.S.

I just went to the Mountain Mist site and yes they are what you say - thanks again!

Archived