Greetings from Brooklyn, NY

Malcolm

Since I have been a member a few months, I suppose that I should say something; although I am not making any sculpture now, and have not for quite a few years. I do have a number of small pieces made in the past, and when I can get some images of them I will post them to the list.

Right now I am trying to decide what material I will focus on then I do start making small sculpture again. The choice, for me, comes down to wood of clay. Clay is the materiel I probably know the best, having worked as a potter for many years, until back problems made it difficult for me to work on the potters wheel. This is a link to a few images of my pottery made about eight years ago.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/malcolmschosha/my_photos

The advantage with wood is that once all the work is done, it really is done. On the other hand, with clay when all the work is done, it is still necessary to put it into a kiln and hope nothing goes wrong in the firing process.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Welcome - look forward to seeing some of your work. Tried to go to the linked page to see some of your ceramic work but the page wouldn't open for me.

I have the same feeling with my wax carving as you do with the clay - very workable and forgiving medium, but then you have some unpredictable processes to get to a more permanent form.

Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Sorry about the page with the pottery images not working. Perhaps this will work better:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93789289@N00/?saved=1

(If not, be patient with my lack of computer skills.)

Benvenuto Cellini, in his autobiography, has a rather hair raising description of the casting, in bronze, of his very large sculpture of Perseus, from its wax original. Although there are some benefits to direct carving, metal casting offers its own unique sculptural possibilities....and difficulties. As is often said, there are two sides to every coin.

Be well.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Welcome - look forward to seeing some of your work. Tried to go to the linked page to see some of your ceramic work but the page wouldn't open for me.

I have the same feeling with my wax carving as you do with the clay - very workable and forgiving medium, but then you have some unpredictable processes to get to a more permanent form.

Magnus

Hi Malcolm and welcome. I've always had a soft spot for knotwork. Very well done. Thanks.

Seems like I remember that Cellini ran short of metal for Perseus and threw in all the household copper pans to top it off. I guess we do what we have to. Enjoy whatever medium you settle on.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Since I have been a member a few months, I suppose that I should say something; although I am not making any sculpture now, and have not for quite a few years. I do have a number of small pieces made in the past, and when I can get some images of them I will post them to the list.

Right now I am trying to decide what material I will focus on then I do start making small sculpture again. The choice, for me, comes down to wood of clay. Clay is the materiel I probably know the best, having worked as a potter for many years, until back problems made it difficult for me to work on the potters wheel. This is a link to a few images of my pottery made about eight years ago.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/malcolmschosha/my_photos

The advantage with wood is that once all the work is done, it really is done. On the other hand, with clay when all the work is done, it is still necessary to put it into a kiln and hope nothing goes wrong in the firing process.

Malcolm

Hello Malcolm,

Welcome to one of the best groups in the net. I'm sure you'll find yourself at home here just as I did.

I've always been fascinated by the work which comes out of potters wheels. Choice of Celtic designs as ornaments and the glazed coloring looks great on your vases. Do you still have the kiln?

Best regards.

dagistanli

Archived