Minnehaha Falls, Minneapolis Spoon

Janel

Dagistanli posted a photo of a carved antique spoon which depicts Minnehaha Falls, which is a water fall in Minneapolis, Minnesota, my childhood home town. I lived within a few miles of this feature which is at the end of Minnehaha Creek where it drops down to the Mississippi River water level. The falls is a wonderful place any time of year. The winter scene is one of frozen water and splashes of what won't freeze. The photos are from slides shot perhaps in 1955.

mnhaha_w.jpgdagis_silverspoon_w.jpg

jjmnhaha_w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"Hello again Janel,

Up until now, I kept on wondering if that carved picture on the spoon was from a real scenery or from the artists imagination, the artist who carved the original die for casting those spoons. Thank you for the information, most apreciated!. Could that brave little be lady you, a few years back maybe? It takes a lot of courage to sit on that wall, which I think is quite high above and steep from the water below. The view is magnificent, I certainly would love to live in an environment like that.

The figure among the leaves is a multi cell fungus, atleast that's what they told me. You can post the pictures I've sent you if you like, maybe there are other people on the list who may know better. The reason I sent them to you was that, in one of your earlier posts you mentioned your interest on fungus if I remember right.

Now here are some more pics. I took from the same place. Hope everybody enjoyes. Best regards, ekrem."

Thank you Dagistanli,

Yes, the little lady was me, I must have been four years old then. I must have trusted my father when he placed me there!

Thank you for the photos of the butterflies and their chrysalis (what is the plural of that word? chrysalae?chrysalises?) I have wondered how the butterfly enclosures manage the population of the different butterflies. The photos show the diligence of the keepers in finding the cocoons and chrysalises, and keeping them during metamorphosis. Remarkable! The century plant in the cactus photo is a favorite arid country plant to look at. The smooth leaves sculpted by the neighboring leaf which leaves its lasting impression on it. Subtle and beautiful.

I am sorry it took so long to answer your question, the past weeks have been busy for me.

"Hello again Janel,

Up until now, I kept on wondering if that carved picture on the spoon was from a real scenery or from the artists imagination, the artist who carved the original die for casting those spoons. Thank you for the information, most apreciated!. Could that brave little be lady you, a few years back maybe? It takes a lot of courage to sit on that wall, which I think is quite high above and steep from the water below. The view is magnificent, I certainly would love to live in an environment like that.

The figure among the leaves is a multi cell fungus, atleast that's what they told me. You can post the pictures I've sent you if you like, maybe there are other people on the list who may know better. The reason I sent them to you was that, in one of your earlier posts you mentioned your interest on fungus if I remember right.

Now here are some more pics. I took from the same place. Hope everybody enjoyes. Best regards, ekrem."

Thank you Dagistanli,

Yes, the little lady was me, I must have been four years old then. I must have trusted my father when he placed me there!

Thank you for the photos of the butterflies and their chrysalis (what is the plural of that word? chrysalae?chrysalises?) I have wondered how the butterfly enclosures manage the population of the different butterflies. The photos show the diligence of the keepers in finding the cocoons and chrysalises, and keeping them during metamorphosis. Remarkable! The century plant in the cactus photo is a favorite arid country plant to look at. The smooth leaves sculpted by the neighboring leaf which leaves its lasting impression on it. Subtle and beautiful.

I am sorry it took so long to answer your question, the past weeks have been busy for me.

You are always welcome Janel, I'm glad you have enjoyed them. Hope to send some more the next time I get a chance to go over there. It really is a very nice site for everyone to see, "The Franklin Park Conservatory" in Columbus OH.

Just one question, I want to use my real name in the posts, "Ali Ekrem Cifter", instead of dagistanli, how can I go about doing that. I just don't see any poing in hiding, don't know why I did it in the first place?

Best regards,

ali ekrem cifter.

Hello Ekrem, I will look into making the name change for you.

Hello Janel,

Thank you very much for switching my ID from dagistanli to Ekrem. Dagistan is the place where my grandfathers moved to Turkiye from, and that's why I chose that ID. From now on I will log in as Ekrem.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience I have coused, and thanks again.

Best regards,

Ekrem.

Archived