Hi from the UK!

Jon Shaw

Hi fellow carvers,

As a new member I thought I'd just introduce myself to you all, and supply a brief resume as to where I'm coming from.

I began by restoring antique furniture back in '69, but moved into full time music from '73-78 in W.Berlin. Returned to UK and began acoustic guitar making business which suffered in recession of '81, so moved into jewellry, small boxes, small carvings etc. utilizing small offcuts from the guitars. Sold work throughout UK and exhibited in many leading galleries. Took degree in 3D Design '83-'86, and after short spell as a cabinet maker for John Makepiece, set up my own business designing and making one-off pieces of furniture to commission. Survived until '98, when new business partner proved to be a big mistake!

After full time fatherhood for three years (highly rewarding, but your brain turns into a banana!) I taught designing and making for five years to college students, but I now find myself redundant at fifty five.

So what next? Well I am going to get back to some netsuke style carving. Its been some twenty four years since I did any, but this website is certainly inspiring, ( many thanks to Doug Sanders for telling me about it) and as well as learning from the forums, I intend to contribute my own knowledge and experience to the proceedings where possible.

Happy carving

Jon Shaw

Welcome, Jon! That's a long history in the "making" world. Do you have photos of your work you'd like to share?

Hi Jim,

Yes, I have many photos of my work (even a published book), but only a couple depict small carvings, and all on 35mm transparencies which I have yet to figure out how to put on this site. Bear with me!

Hi fellow carvers,

As a new member I thought I'd just introduce myself to you all, and supply a brief resume as to where I'm coming from.

I began by restoring antique furniture back in '69, but moved into full time music from '73-78 in W.Berlin. Returned to UK and began acoustic guitar making business which suffered in recession of '81, so moved into jewellry, small boxes, small carvings etc. utilizing small offcuts from the guitars. Sold work throughout UK and exhibited in many leading galleries. Took degree in 3D Design '83-'86, and after short spell as a cabinet maker for John Makepiece, set up my own business designing and making one-off pieces of furniture to commission. Survived until '98, when new business partner proved to be a big mistake!

After full time fatherhood for three years (highly rewarding, but your brain turns into a banana!) I taught designing and making for five years to college students, but I now find myself redundant at fifty five.

So what next? Well I am going to get back to some netsuke style carving. Its been some twenty four years since I did any, but this website is certainly inspiring, ( many thanks to Doug Sanders for telling me about it) and as well as learning from the forums, I intend to contribute my own knowledge and experience to the proceedings where possible.

Happy carving

Jon Shaw

Welcome Jon, looking forward to see your work.

Best regards

ekrem.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice to see you here. I hope the forum is as much of a help to you, both inspirationally and practically, as it is to me. :)

-Doug

Hi Doug,

It's thanks to you that I am here, and yes, from what I've viewed on it so far, the forum is extremely useful both as a source of inspiration, as well as the technical contributions. :)

Welcome, Jon! That's a long history in the "making" world. Do you have photos of your work you'd like to share?

Jim,

It has just occured to me that should you wish to see a piece of my work before I am able to post something here, then you could check out Fine Woodworking's Design Book 6, where you will see a cabinet of mine on page 12.

Love your work! :)

Jon

Archived