skin on frame kayaks

magnus homestead

Hello All,

I'll be building a skin on frame kayak during the next 10 days in a class taught by Brian Schultz. These boats are extremely personal, beautiful, functional and a true craft in the building of them. Thought you would like to see some of the photos at Brian's website - My Webpage I hope this link works as I am still such a neophyte at this.

Magnus :D;)

I think I remember seeing in a museum once some small carvings in marine ivory that served as toggles for lashing things onto kayaks- they were mounted at strategic points along the top of the frame, presumably after the skin was stretched across. I'll see if I have a minute or two to scan the web for some pics.

post-239-1159242652.jpgHello Doug,

:) Yes, some of the toggles were quite elaborate in their form - I am going to put some of my lines on in that traditional manner and see what I can carve for the toggles. Here's a picture of my frame 3 days into the project. Construction is mortise and tenon, pegged and lashed. Mostly cedar frame with a couple of spruce for the back rest and knee brace and steam bent oak ribs. It is quite exciting to fabricate a hollow form this way. We should be putting the skins (nylon) on in a couple of days. :lol:

Magnus

You're right Dick, the sculptural form of these boats is really beautiful, and surprisingly easy to fabricate - very much an acessable craft. I found out today that we will be using leather for our deck lines not elastic cord - Brian states that they are superior in heavy surf at keeping your stuff on the deck. So that means I'll be able to carve some toggles!

Magnus

post-239-1159826756.jpgWell, six days into the project and the kayaks have really taken on life. The skins are on, they are dyed and waiting for the final polyurethane finish.

I came down with a cold the last days of the class - though I stuck it out long enough to put the finish on my kayak, I have yet to photograph it or put on the deck lines, or even paddle it. Will be doing that this week I hope, while the Columbia River is still warm.

Dick, what kind of kayak did you buy? Have you paddled one very much? Do you have any photographs taken from your kayak?

Magnus

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Samuel,

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I 'm just getting caught up in my jewelry work from a busy season.

The kayak is finished - my thirty year old son and I have been taking it to an indoor pool to learn to roll from a capsized position to an upright one - one of the beautiful aspects of these craft is the ability to turn over without swamping the boat. The technique is challenging but I hope to be able to paddle safely in the Columbia River and along the Oregon coast by this spring and summer. My son and I are in the design, materials list stage of building two more similar kayaks. We are going to use canvas ( cotton/hemp ) for the skins - seems more fitting ( pardon the pun ) to the organic process of building and the canvas is easier to do the graphic art I want to embellish them with. I encourage you to begin the process and bring your dream into reality! Let me know if I can help in any way.

Magnus

post-239-1167846599.jpg

post-239-1167846665.jpg

Archived