Chinese boxwood

Austin

That's a very nice looking bean. It has a great contemporary feel to it.

I ordered some boxwood from Japan a year or two ago. Part of the order was Chinese boxwood, part was apparently from Thailand. They have slightly differing colors but I haven't yet been able to discern a difference in their working properties.

There r some different kind of boxwood in china.Big leaf boxwood,little leaf boxwood,the Little leaf Boxwood is better.The pics you seen above ,was plant in the cold north area of China.For the cold weather,the north little box wood grow very slowly.These was why the north boxwood was exquisiter than the south Boxwood.So the North boxwood of large size was very expensive.It is a kind of hard wood,but a little softer than rose wood.

• 3 weeks later...
Is the little leaf boxwood a very common tree or shrub in North China?

Would you post the dimensions of the carving of the bean, or at least it's longest measurement?

The bean is about 8CM(3.1 inch)in length.

This kind of boxwood grew very slowly,in the very cold clime of China.This made the wood very very exquisite.Some body call it wooden ivory. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Austin,

That wood looks very nice! I look forward to see what you find in it ;).

Janel

AHA,this is a true problem to me ,I am still thinking about how to use this beautiful wood.Any good idear for me ? I 'm to lend my ear to you .

Austin

• 3 years later...

Archived