How do you hold a small piece to work on it?

Years ago. When big coats with big pockets where in fashion, I used to have a tennis ball in one of those pockets. When ever possible I trained my fingers and grip by squeezing the ball. It really gives you a vice-like grip!

Those where the days!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lonnie, that looks pretty easy to work with, where did you aquire it? I use two small hand vices and I have set up swomething like what Tim mentioned that I have used for years. Always interested in more TOOLS!!!!!!!!! I'm adicted to buying or trading for TOOLS!!!!!!

I like those Debbie, I beleive something similar to the top one can be purchased at the same place I purchased my jerry-rig system ( that really is the name of the system. :D ) They have all sorts of attachment for this system too. I purchased it at http://treelineusa.com/ My home away from home. Check it out. :(

Lonnie

Lonnie,

Years ago I thought of investing in a Jerry Rig, and checked it out, it seems as though it has alot more attachments than it first came out. The weight it will handle is not enough for all the different things I work on. It isw a good system, but I do work on carvings up to 25-30 lbs and the Jerry Rig really didn't seem to do what I wanted with the weight I would expect it to handle without failure. The one tool you say you have is readily bought at many venues. The other hand vice I have can also be had at specialty sights, it is much stronger being of cast iron. For my larger carvings I have settled on a universal device

Guest Clive
Nice work Ko,very creative, don't sweat the technique it look like your doing fine to me. In fact its the same technique I use and teach to my students. Nice work Ko.

Lonnie

I'm curious Lonnie... was this a technique Pete Leclairs taught you in his caricature carving class in 2006 or is this a technique you taught yourself ? ... your website states that you've been carving for 4 years and that you're self taught.

Hi Clive, I wrote the description of myself Before I had taken petes class thanks for pointing that out. I'll correct it . Pete teaches this technique in his class and I've found it to be very effective, not flawless by any means but so far so good, as you know I am fairly new to this forum and I'm curious also what do you carve? Could I possibly see a sample of your work. Also have you taken any classes and if so which ones?

Lonnie

Here's the result of my poor technique, the actual piece I was working on in the above mentioned foto.

post-142-1204842971.jpg

But it works for me. It's all about controll of the cutting tool. That's where the right thumb is very important for support on the workpiece.

And I do cut myself occasionally. But as you can see all my fingers all still there.

Ko

Ko, I went to your website and saw the bone version of this and I like the wood version of this peice, what finishing technique did you use for the wood version?.

Lonnie

is a loop of cord long enough to put under your foot and over the bench pin.

linked this in another thread but its rather deep in the article

vgmpsk.jpg

"A leather strap on the anvil on top of an anvil stock held the ground file blank. The face of the 'stithy' (anvil) was covered with a lead sheet or with a lead mould shaped to hold specific files, such as three-square files. Lead was used so that the cut side of the file, in its unhardened state, would be protected from any damage."

and yes thats a shoe, it just holds tools :D (see article for more pics)

Ko, I went to your website and saw the bone version of this and I like the wood version of this peice, what finishing technique did you use for the wood version?.

Lonnie

Hi Lonnie, I finished this piece just as discribed on my website under "Example"

Ko

Slow down guys, Clive is right and wrong Lonnie. What I see,Lonnie hasn't put in a precise order of his life and i suppose if he thought someone wasd going to write a book on his life he would probably get things in order so others that do not assume the obvious would figure out he is self taught - then he decided to take a class for what ever reason. He is originally a folk carver naturally courious of other forms of working with wood. Clive, Lonnie is correct, we have seen only one piece of your work, and weather or not it is yours we all assume you would not do something unethical, and it is a beautiful piece. But Lonnie has pointed out something I have noticed, you do have something eating at you and you use this forum for target practice. But there is alot of information you add to the forum, not speaking for any one else, that I find a great source. But I do beleave it is time you start showing us some work. I myself beleave that your work must be beautiful because of the information you do share with us gives the impression it must be.

But there is no reason to fight about it.

I know many folk carvers and they normally are in your face real people and don't tollerate 'story tellers' if you catch my drift.

And Clive you seem to have been in a strict cultured atmosphere which when attempting to communicate with most people is a lesson in futility, please concider this.

I Come In Pease!

Debbie

Guest Clive

Hello Debbie,

I don't take pictures of my work... any that do appear on the net are usually carvings from very early in my career.. or ones taken without my permission. I don't think any finished carving from the last 7 years has been photographed, the roosters was carved in my first year as a professional carver more than twenty years ago. I have since developed very strong views on the taking of 2 dimensional images of 3 dimensional sculpture.. this is quite well known about me and has previously been debated on this forum... I do however appreciate that this might be questioned by those new to the netsuke world and who might not have had the opportunity to see my work in person. It is for this reason that I rarely offer critique on other carvers work that appears on this forum and try to restrict my contributions to technical or historical matters.

Sorry things got so heated.. Lonnie and I have now communicated through PM and hopefully sorted things out.

Regards

Clive