Delaware Amateur Says Hi

skip

Hello Everyone! My name is Skip Bertrand and I've carved/sculpted miniature animals and cast them in pewter since 1989. Reptiles and Amphibians are favorite subjects. Before that I enjoyed a stint carving birds of which song birds and small birds of prey were favorites. I do not consider myself a true carver as many of you in the forum, are. Sometimes I carve and other times I sculpt. For me, fashioning an original is the first of 3 steps in my process. Step 2 is making a mold and the final Step is casting/finishing the piece.

Although I sometimes produce pieces larger than netsuke-size, most of my castings are inspiried by the Japanese art form combined with childhood experiences exploring local streams, woodlands and wilderness areas. I stumbled across Janel's website a couple years ago after seeing an ad promoting a netsuke show at the Smithsonian Institute in nearby Washington DC. I was unable to attend the show but found Janel's website and was stunned by her work!

I look forward to visiting the forum occasionally and exchanging with you all. I will try to attach a photo of one of my carvings in process. If successful it will show a tiny Alabama Map Turtle I was working on years ago in walnut. It was equal in size to the end of my thumb!

post-73-1109029778_thumb.jpg

Hi Skip,

Great to have you aboard! Thanks for introducing yourself and showing us an image of your work.

You wrote, "I do not consider myself a true carver as many of you in the forum, are. Sometimes I carve and other times I sculpt."

I would like to know what the difference between sculpt and carve is, especially in this scale of work we do. Take up this discussion in the topic I'll enter in The Way forum.

(Skip and I wrote about this earlier today, and I am interested in seeing what transpires.)

Welcome to you Skip.

Archived