Grapes, leaves & moth

Jim Kelso

This shot shows the initial carving/engraving. I began by engraving(with AirGraver) deep lines where the veins would be. I then used a rotary burr, following the engraved lines, to begin shaping valleys, giving shape and depth to the leaf.

post-4-1160184590.jpg

Here the shaping and relief work is almost finished and the veins are pencilled in. Also I've engraved the grapes in shakudo.

post-4-1160185238.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Magnus.

Here's a better photo of the finished piece.

Hi Jim,

The piece really looks nice. Did you cast the 18K golden moth? And is it inlayed or pinned on the piece?

I also love the little golden shots you've scattered on the leaves :)

Thanks for sharing the way you've done it, and the photos of the finished piece.

BTW, I've spoken with Steve Lindsay, and got an Air Graver from him, and told him that you've recommended it. The compressor being too heavy for me to take it with me by plane, I have to get one from here and mount the hoses and other stuff on it, another words, I havent tried it out yet. Thanks for the suggestion Jim, as you've said in one of your previous posts, he really is a very nice person to talk to and do business with.

Best regards.

ekrem.

Hi Ekrem and thanks. The moth is carved/engraved/chased from sheet and is pinned to the leaves.

I hope you like the AirGraver. Let us know what you think. Steve is the most helpful manufacturer/sales person I ever met.

You are most welcome Jim. As soon as I get a compressor and hook every thing up, I will let you know how it goes.

Best regards,

ekrem.

Hi Ekrem and thanks. The moth is carved/engraved/chased from sheet and is pinned to the leaves.

I hope you like the AirGraver. Let us know what you think. Steve is the most helpful manufacturer/sales person I ever met.

BTW, what is the size of that pin, and the thickness of the moth before you've started to carve?

Best regards

ekrem.

Archived