Mammoth ivory, acrylic inlay materials,etc

Bradford Blakely

I have been working with dealer of mammoth tusks who is headquartered in Los Angeles. The website is IJTRADE.com and iy is worth a visit for carvers who need to find a reliable source for fossil ivory and other fossil materials. Igor, the owner of IJTRADE, is Russian by nationality and travels to Siberia often where he finds the best tusks. I have been very satisfied with the purchases I have made of grade A tusks used for carving. Go the website and explore the pages, you will find what you want. The proprietors are gracious and helpful. I recommend this dealer for reliability.

Another excellent source for exotic legal materials is Atlantic Coral Bay Company based in St. Augustine,Florida. This company sells on ebay, as does IJTRADE. Go to ebay, click on the BUY icon and do a search for the material you want ( hippo tusks, kudu horns, waterbuffalo horn,etc.) I have had good results buying my materials form this company and they are very prompt with deliveries.

For those of you who are tired of working in natural materials only, try using Corian, Swanstone, or any opf the other acrylics in the marketplace. I use Corian and Swanstone since these materials come in so many colors including faux granites. Plexiglas and Acrilex are good for adding colors to your work. Acrilex comes in metallics, glitter and frosted colors. Acrylics can be carved, cut and polished just like ivory and polish to a bright sheen with 6000 grit abrasive sheets. A good source for sand paper sheet stock is Rio Grande of New Mexico. There is a website, but orders must be placed on the toll free line with a catalog.

That's about it for the materials blog. If you have questions about any of these materials, I can supply the names and websites of where to buy samples online. Some of the companies will send free sample chips of all the colors they manufacture, as did the Swanstone rep in Phoenix. It was enough to last me for years since I make netsuke and ojime which are very small. Happy carving. BB

Hi Bradford,

Thanks for the good information about the materials. I had heard about Corian for carving long ago, but never tried it. I've got some tiles of it that must be 15 years old. Do you suppose the material changes much in that length of time?

If you are doing inlay with the man made materials, what kind of adhesive do you use?

Archived