Well.... I'm here.

Gobae - The Blacksmith

I'm not sure I'm in the right place. I'm looking for info on stone carving, but just simple basics. Enough to be able to make reproduction Iron Age Celtic tools.

Specifically, our re-enactment group Ancient Celtic Clans http://celticclans.oakandacorn.com is embarking on a project to make rotary querns (hand cranked stone flour mills). So far I've been able to locate pictures of typical stone working tools, and I've started making them (I'm a blacksmith, so that's pretty easy) But, I'm looking for some resources (good websites, books, etc) about basic stone working techniques.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Welcome to The Carving Path Gobae - The Blacksmith!

Members, I encouraged Gobae - The Blacksmith to ask his questions of TCP membership, since we have such a diverse group. There may be someone who might be able to nudge him in a good direction or two for information.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to post a followup, and show what our groups were able to accomplish with no training, and some blacksmith'ed tools copied from pictures. We only had a partial day and considering the hurdles we had to overcome things went VERY well.

Last Saturday members of Ancient Celtic Clans and Celtic Learning Project teamed up to try their hand at building some rotary querns.

Photos and a quick description can be found here: http://celticclans.oakandacorn.com/quern.html

Our intent is to finish 2 sets of querns (1 for ACC and 1 for CLP) then we can use them to demonstrate grinding grain at our public events. This is also something that the public can try THEIR hand at it, since public participation makes such a big difference with understanding and enthusiasm.

Welcome Blacksmith

several stone working tools come to mind a bushhammer basicallya a hammer with a checkered face, chisles cold type and serated cold type, and a basic 4 corner point, almost any type of hammer to strike the chisles. Depending on the type of stone you need to be carefull not to bruse the stone hard to explain, do not drive the chistles straight in to the stone, use a angle attack this will reduce the chance of brusing, practice on some scrap and you willo see what I mean. Hope this helps good luck. Dave

Dave - Yes, I made all the tools you mentioned except for the bushhammer. It just slipped my mind and then when I remember it was the day of the event and too late. I think we discovered early on what you mean by "bruising" the stone. We got many more chips when the chisels were attacking at 45deg instead of a head on 90deg strike.

Jim - THAT is an excellent suggestion. We have a few "monument" makers in our area. Perhaps they even have scrap they're willing to sell!

Archived