Hello to all from upstate New York

Corky2

Greetings to all!

I'm hoping to get information and inspiration in this forum. I found it through Janel's website. Her work is breathtakingly lovely!

I haven't been carving very long, just a couple of years. I truly enjoy it and hope to get better at it as I gain experience.

Netsuke drew me to take up wood carving. I don't actually carve them, but I do carve on a small scale - so far just pieces I can hold in my hand and work on. I have done a turtle, a frog, several different types of sea shells, a centipede, a scarab beetle, a dragonfly, an abstract face based on Cycladic sculpture, a couple of small Celtic knot designs, and a few other things of that sort.

The most experimental carving I have done was based on paintings I did some years ago. The paintings in turn were based on doodles I made while talking on the phone. The carving is made up of several pieces arranged in specific relationship to each other. Some relief carving is involved.

Right now I am beginning to work on a small maple leaf in mahogony. The leaves are turning in the northeast United States and are beautiful right now, so I brought a few indoors and made some drawings, and cut out a maple leaf blank. I hope to work on it this week.

I am very much looking forward to reading the various topics here. They look fascinating - full of useful and interesting information!

Peace,

Corky

Hi Corky! Welcome to The Carving Path! Do you have any photos of your work?

Thank you for the compliments (blushing smiley!) I too noticed the maple leaves last week. I had a ladder in hand and looked at my feet in the leaves for a moment and thought of a piece in an instant. We'd had a sprinkle, which made droplets of water on the dry, colored leaves... I look forward to seeing what you are doing!

Please have a look at the guidelines for resizing photos for this forum, in the Photography section, the pinned note at the top of the topic.

Again, welcome!

Thanks to both of you for your kind welcomes!

I feel a bit dunce-like, but I'm still working on mastering the use of my digital camera. I have a friend who knows all the ins and outs of it and she'll be helping me. When I've got it down I will follow the requirements for posting here and put up a few pics.

As I said, I am very new at this so my work is necessarily that of an amateur. But you can also take that in the literal sense of its being something I love to do. So while the finished works aren't often close to what I envisioned, I always enjoy working on them!

Jim - I toured your website. What beautiful work you do! I love the combinations of materials!

Peace,

Corky

Archived