Digital camera

Ed Twilbeck

Hi Ed, I had S2IS. I sold it several days back and bought Nikon D50.

S2 IS is a great camera! I used this camera for shot pics for my website (you can see pics from 2006: Works 2006 ), and for birdwatching: see Birds

This camera have a very good macro, good zoom and very comfortable Image Stabilizer for birdwatching. But this camera don't have RAW image format (This it is important if you want to gave high quality of your pictures!). And have small sensor (1/6 from 35mm film) - you will have much digital noise with high ISO. Really, Iso 200 and 400 isn't working - too much noise. ISO50 is good, ISO 100 - small noise.

You must define your purpose. If you need camera only for web, S2 IS is perfect (S3 IS better ;) ). If you have plans for printing or polygraphic printing, you must choose camera with RAW format and with greater sensor.

Hope this help!

If you have any questions, please email me.

Regards

Thank you, Sergey, for that advice! It is just what I needed to know for my own purposes! I am not able to purchase a new camera now, but have wondered which of the many choices would be suitable for the small work, and images from the rest of the world, for web and for prints. My camera does not make very good prints, but that also may be the result of the computer to printer communication, operator lack of knowledge, and quality of printer... So very much to learn! ;)

some of the cameras made 5 years ago would work fine for what you want to do. the RAW settings on some of the newer cameras are of little help unless you have a good knowledge of the latest photoshop edition and the time to mess with it. one of the best cameras for closeup photography is a nikon coolpix 4500. it can focus within 3/4 of an inch from the subject and make good photos in the 11X17 inch format. sometimes newer and more expensive products don't equal better preformance.

Thanks to all who answered me. All helped, Sunday I went out and purchased a

Canon Power Shot A630 and got a free 512MB memory card. So far all seems well with the camera. Learning as fast as I can .. Thanks to all for all the input on the site and the emails on the cameras.

Ed pictures will come soon of my work and others. :)

Archived