Carver new to the path from HB, CA

Andrew

Hi everyone. I've been carving bone for around 3 years now. I lived in NZ for 8 mo's and met several carvers who helped me get hooked. Here are some of my latest pieces.

I've been reading posts here on the site and have found tons of useful info. So thanks to all of you

Andrew

post-325-1161102246.jpg

post-325-1161102253.jpg

post-325-1161102259.jpg

post-325-1161102271.jpg

Welcome to The Carving Path, Andrew! Thank you for sharing the images of your work, and for introducing yourself.

Many of the members have "soda straw" dial up modems, and the larger file sized images take a long time to load. The forum has a guideline for dimension and file size of around 640 x 480 pixels, with around 50 k file size. Your's are over that by some. If you need help figuring out how to resize your images, you may find the pinned topic in the PHOTOGRAPHY section to be helpful. Or send me an email asking for help.

Kindest regards, and welcome! Janel

I use a coping saw for the rough cut. A Dremel for my rotary tool since finding a variety of cutters is really easy at local hardware stores.

I have a set of fine files and an even smaller finer set that I just picked up at a Gem show. I also have a set of chisels and gouges though I really only use two tools of the set. Both are gouges with slight cruves in them. Close to actually being chisels. I find this works best for removal of material in corners and other tight spots.

I don't have any photos at the moment of my tools. I'll work on it.

Most of my work is accomplished with the rotary tool, only the fine details require the gouges and files.

Oh and sand paper, lots and lots of sand paper.

Janel I think you commented in another string that this is the most tedious part and you would rather be carving something. I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately it seems to be a necessary evil as the finish really does pop when it has no tooling blemishes.

I read somewhere that using a White Rouge to polish bone was a good idea. I have been using that and it gives a really nice polish, but it is VERY glossy.

I am looking into trying mineral oil, I would like to see if i can get a more satin finish.

Archived