I've been having a whale of a time

Guest ford hallam

Guest ford hallam

Hello fellow chisellers,

thought you'd like to see a little panel I've just finished. We'd been away for a few days with some friends from Scotland and had stayed at a beach house. While there we managed to see quite a few whales who were in the bay calving. Anyway, on our return I was doodeling away with them in mind and this is what resulted. The shibuichi fan shape had in fact been sitting in my materials drawer for over 10 years as I'd made it up in preparation for an exercise I was being taught in Japan. I was so slow at learning that I only used one of the 2 I'd made.

The whale is in high relief inlay, and is kuro-( dark ) shibuichi and silver. . The eye is shakudo but you'd have to have the piece in hand to see that I'm afraid. It measures 8.5cm across ( 3.4 inches ) and has a fine silver rim.

enjoy, Ford

Guest ford hallam

Thank you, Jim

The Kuro-shibuichi is actually an odd one, being made with kuromido, I'll check my workshop notes and send you a pm. To be honest in it's highly polished state it is too dark for what I wanted, the underside of the wee beastie is gradually textured using "ishi-arashi", there the deep grey shows quite well.

cheers, Ford

Guest ford hallam

thanks everyone, for your kind comments. :)

Jim, I was wrong ( I Know, what a confession!, from me :blink: ), the very dark alloy is in fact "budo-gane", so called grape metal. Kuromido ( Cu + 3% As ) and 0.5% gold. It does have a subtly different colour to shakudo, a hint of purple.

Hey Doug, you show me your monkey and I'll show you my whale! :) The fan panel is set in the silver frame which has two pegs soldered to the back. These are simply glued into the "driftwood" backing. I intend to further mount the whole assembly on or against a beach pebble. Beach detritus, sort of thing.

Magnus, I'll be launching my own web-site when I return from Japan at the end of November. There I will regularly run tutorials and post "how it was done" photo sequences. I'll post an open invitation here when I'm up and running. Still so much writing to do though. :angry:

regards to all, Ford

Magnus, I'll be launching my own web-site when I return from Japan at the end of November. There I will regularly run tutorials and post "how it was done" photo sequences. I'll post an open invitation here when I'm up and running. Still so much writing to do though. :angry:

regards to all, Ford

WOW!!! Where have you been, that you've accomplished all this? Best be careful, or I'll be tempted over to the dark side of metal bashers.

This is an exquisite piece of work Ford :blink: . Would be interested to see how you choose to position that with a stone. BTW, whatever did you do with that piece of jade you have?

Looking forward to seeing your site up and running...will most definitely be interesting. Do try and share some photos of when you're in Japan with us common folk. :)

Kathleen

Guest ford hallam

Hello Dick,

Thanks for the compliment. The background is a standard 75%Cu; 25%Ag shibuichi. The body of the whale is made up of fine silver and an alloy called budogane ( I described it in an earlier reply to Jim ). When patinating with the usual Japanese solutions no masking out is required. The different colours are a consequence of the alloy composition, the colouring solution is fairly standard, slight alterations can be made to the mix depending on the desired tones or to remedy the odd unwanted blemish in the patina. ( blotching, spotting or irridecence etc. ).

It's not really a pouch clasp but I suppose it does qualify as a "kanamono". I merely made it as a decorative panel. I chose to mount the framed panel on the "driftwood" to contrast the materials and provide a stage, so to speak.

regards, Ford

Archived