first start in boxwood

Hello all. :(

I couldn't wait any longer to try working with boxwood so between my custom work I started.

I thought I'd start off with a simple bead to see how boxwood works. I spent about 5 hours getting to this point. I need to make some smaller woodworking tools to start the texturing and details. It is really a nice wood to work with. I didn't expect the darker areas to be so contrasting as they are. I plan to hollow this bead out into a shell form so to speak. I've blacked out the interior for the photos. It is about 5 cm tall.

Magnus

post-239-1161936866.jpg

post-239-1161936892.jpg

post-239-1161936911.jpg

That is a nice start Magnus. I have boxwood from various sources, some with the stain/spalting, from fungus(?), and some that is beautifully clear. The dark area can be worked into the imagry, or can detract from it. It looks like you are working it into the imagry, and it looks interesting. I look forward to seeing where you go with it.

Have fun, keep your tools sharp and cut away from your flesh!

Thank you all for your help and encouragement. It is deeply appreciated.

I must say Janel that this is a spontanious carving including the position of the spalting but it has been really fun exploring this wood - not as hard as ebony and it has a less irritating dust - I am learning that my tools have to be very sharp so as not to tear the wood when cutting across the grain. I am loving this and will post some more photos when the piece gets more interesting.

Doug, if I want to reduce the contrast of the spalting is there a way?

Thanks again,

Magnus

Hi Magnus,

The bleach may work for you, but when I've used bleach with this type of discoloration in boxwood (I'm going to call it "spalting") I found the grain was different from the unspalted area. The bleach whitened all the wood, but then when I added color back in, the spalted area took color differently than the unspalted. Thus, it may not solve your problem.

I say leave it alone, and just understand that's the nature of natural materials. Excuse the pun.

PS Looks like a nice start with boxwood. Keep it up...

Thanks Tom,

I think I will just go with the colors as they are. I did think I was noticing a slight difference in density between the spalted wood and the other sections so it makes sense that they would accept coloring in different degrees. By the way, if I have not already done so, let me say that I love your work - very beautiful and refined.

Magnus

Thanks for the kind words, Magnus!

Oh, by the way, if you have a little bit of wood from the adjacent spot on the boxwood log, don't forget that you can cut off a small piece and experiment with that, rather than the finished carving. I just remembered that little trick, can't think of why I hadn't remembered it before...

• 1 month later...

Well I haven't really finished this bead, but it's as far as I will go for awhile due to other work I need to focus on. So I thought I'd post some photos - except for sanding and waxing it is done but for the face - I'd like to carve this a little more 3 dimensional - right now it's rather more of a relief carving - I am somewhat timid as I'm used to carving wax where one can add back if you mess it up. I like the whole feel of the wood more than wax however and I want to learn this skill. The bead has a nice feel - almost like a large walnut shell when one holds it.

Magnus

post-239-1165474989.jpg

post-239-1165475013.jpg

post-239-1165475051.jpg

post-239-1165475074.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your kind words. I will finish this out and start on a larger carving I've been working out in my head after the Christmas rush has settled down. Looking at the fewer posts on TCP, I am guessing this is a busy time of the year for a lot of folks. Hope all are having a good Winter/Summer Solstice season.

Magnus

• 3 weeks later...

Archived