First attemp at netsuke

nebraskarod

Here is an egg that I carved when I first started reading this forum. I used basswood (a poor choice) and up close it exhibits the typical faults of basswood. That being the inability to hold fine detail. It chipped out as I carved the scales. None the less it serves as a first step and a good learning exerience.

rod

post-302-1162183366.jpg

Here is my next attempt at netsuke. This after reading the great pdf from Mr Sterling. I purchased some boxwood and set forth. Everything went well up to the point of the feathers. I did not have the proper tools nor skills. After a feable attempt at feathers, I carved it smooth for the stylized look. Additionally, here is where I attemped to wax the carving with the effect of created as nice patch of black along the end grain. On last item is that I decided to braid a cord. This was again a first attempt - the hemp is too rustic, and the braiding skills need some practice.... So here is carving number 2 a duck like creature in boxwood soaked in oil and waxed.

rod

post-302-1162183766.jpgpost-302-1162183775.jpg

On to carving number 3. Time was on my side this week - since I was off with a recovering child from a tonsolectomy (I am a terrible speller, and yes he is doing well). Mr. Sterling has a fine example of a sleeping rat and I chose that as my next subject. Again boxwood and oil - no wax. I have noticed that is seems to be picking up some grime as it is handles. Is there a better top seal?

A note to Mr Sterling. Thanks you for your book it really gave me a jump start, and I plan on getting a lot of use out of it in the near future

rod

post-302-1162184031.jpg

Last but not least is a snake that I carved for fun. Here I think I finally figured out the trick to keeping the scale pattern consistent. Boxwood and oil - you get the picture

rod

post-302-1162184253.jpg

I have started one more carving which is carved from the other half of the snake blank. It is a mermaid circling an oyster complete with a seahorse, startfish and pearl. I will snap a work in progess picture later this week. It is back to work for me this week as the wife has recovery duties starting tomorrow.

rod

What grit and type of abrasive paper are you using for your sanding and polishing? From the pictures, it appears that you could go a little further and finer with the sanding. Once you get to a certain level of fineness, you'll find that hand oils and dirt are less likely to quickly grime up the surface. No need for an additional product coat the wood.

Oh what fun you must be having! You are taking this learning process very seriously. Well done. Thanks for providing the images with the descriptions. I hope your child is feeling better every day. A tonsillectomy must be no fun, except for the ice cream and popsicles (if that is still the way it goes)!

Sorry Rod, this is off your topic <_< ... You are right there, Tom. Although I already have a couple of small pieces of Pink Ivory wood, I went to the wood worker's store in the region I was passing through yesterday and came home with a 2x2x12" of it, just for kicks, and because I had not seen it there before. Also six little slivers of ebony came home with me, which I would not take the time to cut myself, being power-saw poor. ... and a new pull type hand saw...and a couple more bits for the micro grinder... I also had the newest frog carving with me, and showed it to the three guys running the store. They were pleased as punch to have that brief interlude. They tell the customers to bring in photos of the things they are working on with the store's tools and materials, but rarely do they get to see something in person.

Archived