Mansanita Root

Guest katfen

Hi Kathleen, I carved a large sculpture from manzanita burl some years ago, but never finished it. It checked something fierce. I've thought about filling the checks with a cotrasting colored wood. It might be interesting, but I've never gotten around to it. If the peice is well cured before you start carving, it shouldn't be a problem. I think it takes a nice finish. Bob

Hi Kathleen,

I've done a little with manzanita burl in the past. It has a beautiful reddish color and nice figure when freshly cut, but in my experience is much like many of the other wildly colored woods and quickly darkens to brown. Burrs worked fine, but under the knife it seemed rubbery, a lot like tupelo that the bird carvers use.

All told, I haven't bothered with it since then, mainly because of the loss of color. About the only good thing I can think of about it is if the shape of the burl is useful to the carving. There are lots of better carving woods for something that will end up dark brown.

Hi Tom & Bob,

Thanks for the replies & info.  The piece of root I have is really old and dried out, so it's got all the checks I think it's going to have, which are all tiny.  It seems to have some pulpyness in areas, but below that the wood is quite hard and dense, when I gave it a little try.  It's a beautiful shape, like an old, chewed dog-bone.  That's too bad about the colour.  I agree, there are better choices for wood-carving; however, I love to experiment with things, so I'm going to give it a go once the idea comes for what it wants to be.  :)

My Property was covered with manzanita some as old as 40 years and 13 feet tall! They were abit overgrown though when I moved here so I took out 50 or 60 large bushes. I was just burning them, but I thought ashame to burn it all so I set aside some selected pieces. They have been cureing in my shop loft for 5 years now. I should check on them see how they are doing hehe. The grain flow can be really interesting, but agian that damn surface splitting has always been a problem in trying to use it. I am hopeing a long cure time will get around it. There are some really neat live ones I left in certain areas. some remind me of giant versions of bonzai trees.

Archived