Dogwood

old_greek

Has anyone ever used dogwood for carving......I have some well dried peices that I got from a friend of a friend and was wondering how it is to work.

Yes, I have used dogwood. It is very hard and very strong. The grain is not tight like boxwood. I'm not sure if it is the same species as the dogwood that you have. I purchased it from Exim, LTD in South Carolina, www.eximltd.com. The pieces ( not very large ) are sold as cornelwood shuttle blocks. I sometimes use it for delicate inserts on carved birds, most recently for feet and toes on a miniature dead pigeon ( the prey of a cooper's hawk ). I'm not sure how a natural finish would look; my pieces are painted.

Lee

Good stuff. Not quite as hard as box, nor quite as smooth in texture as box or pear. But still a closed pore hardwood with very little difference between spring and summer growth far as working properties go. The color is somewhere between cherry and steamed pear and should look fine with a natural finish. Burns well, for those who use pyrography. Used by many bird carvers for carving stand-alone feathers. I've done this once, with good results.

Archived