Carving Rock and Stone

Daniel

Hi, I'm Daniel. I'm new here.

The only carving I've done was on a small plank of mahogony. I used a flat chisel to do a very simple whale and bird. It's not that good and I need to throw it out. I'm more interested in rock and stone carving, however, with rocks that I can find along the river bank, for example. I'd like to do small figurines and thinks, along the lines of Netsuke, but maybe not as tiny.

I've browsed the forum here, and most seem to talk about carving wood. But what tools do you use to carve stones and rocks? Can it even be done, practically speaking, using hand tools?

What is the technique for carving small rocks and stones? Is it a case of just scraping away?

Cheers!

Daniel

the site you recommend is about carving softer stones...stones you find at rivers, are most probbly much harder, and require more strength in tools... you can work every stone with handtools, if you use diamond files for example, and diamond coated saws. this goes very slowly, but i have done this... i prefer now machine, that is a fleible shaft machine with diamond burrs... there is a post here of me, where i explain my way in detail...search for "carving agate" ... hope this helps

Archived