Materials: Preferences, Concerns, Ideas

Guest katfen

I work in Jade, and I must admit I get a satisfaction from knowing that my work will last forever. Big ego at work I guess. :lol:

I made an jade adze head for a First Nations wood carver. He told me that he would make a handle for it, and when he dies it will be passed on to his Son, who will in turn make a new handle for it and so on. Knowing that it had become an instant family heirloom meant the world to me, and I was proud to be involved. :lol:

I think one should use the materials that "Speak" to you regardless of relative longevity. All materials are subject to dissolution of one sort or another. There's an incredible piece of mixed metalwork(actually a bunch of pieces) in the Walters museum in Baltimore that have been wrecked by fumes from disintegrating rubber floor mats. At least that's the theory.

On the other hand I saw some beautiful little containers in a show last year that were made from dried leaves. With proper care these might last for centuries.

I agree Kathleen, once a piece is out of my hands, it's in the karmas.

Dean, I really like what you've said about the Jade adze you created.  It's meaningful to create something when you know someone will care for the piece for a long time.  :)  I'd like to see a pic of your adze.

Kathleen

Thank you Kathleen, unfortunately I do not have any pics of the Adze. It was not fancy, the carver sketched out what he wanted for curves and shapes, and I cut, ground and polished the adze to fit his design. He was happy with the results, and was happy he was pleased. :)

An example of my work is close to you though. In Niagara Falls in the older part of town (Victoria Street?) there is a Thai Buddhest Temple. The Buddhest monk who is in charge of the temple had the largest Nephrite Jade Buddha carved for his Temple in Bangkok. As his gift back to Canada he commisioned a polished Jade Boulder which is displayed in this temple. Two guys from work and I spent a year carving and polishing this boulder. It now stand upright 12 feet by 6 feet by 6 feet.

Take care.

Hi Dean,

I'm sure your adze was beautiful; simplicity has it's own appeal in my opinion.  I haven't been down to Niagara Falls in some time, but the next time I am, I will have to see your carving.  What a monumental project and how exciting that must have been!  It must be incredible.

Kathleen

As far as I know that Jade Boulder has a criminal record!

When it arrived at the temple, the congregation decorated the truck and had the driver drive past the falls with the congregation following close behind. They wanted to welcome the boulder to it's new home. I guess the parks police saw the train of people and the decorated truck, and bestowed a ticket on the truck driver for an unsanctioned parade! :lol:

Take care,

Dean

Archived