anyone try this?

Guest katfen

Hi All,

Here's an image of a fascinating material I received yesterday. I'm wondering if anyone has worked this before...if so, I'd be interested to hear.

post-27-1166624612.jpg

Thanks,

Kathleen

Guest ford hallam
the largest swimming creature I've been in contact with is a huge sturgeon. :):([/quote

You had me momenterally shocked there Janel...until I re-read your post. There is a "T" in that last word. :D:D;)

Guess who B)

Baleen's from an animal :)

Marine mammal actually Doug....try beluga caviar..... ;)

What am I going to make with it? This piece is for experimentation and fun. As to what...too many thoughts to decide on specifics. Just got it this week, along with a load of walrus teeth, musk ox, and mammoth. It's a matter of what to work first...plus the 14 or so I already have on the go. :(

The baleen has interesting properties....will post back with details of how it is to work once I get to it.

:( hmm. I'm in a cranky mood today...

Main Entry: 1an·i·mal

Pronunciation: 'a-n&-m&l

Function: noun

Etymology: Latin, from animale, neuter of animalis animate, from anima soul -- more at ANIMATE

1 : any of a kingdom (Animalia) of living things including many-celled organisms and often many of the single-celled ones (as protozoans) that typically differ from plants in having cells without cellulose walls, in lacking chlorophyll and the capacity for photosynthesis, in requiring more complex food materials (as proteins), in being organized to a greater degree of complexity, and in having the capacity for spontaneous movement and rapid motor responses to stimulation

2 a : one of the lower animals as distinguished from human beings b : MAMMAL; broadly : VERTEBRATE

(pedantic smiley)

Hi Samuel,

I can't speak for all of North America...only Canada. It's quite legal to purchase (although it's not widely available) or own baleen here. It's all rather complicated from my understanding. I can assure you that I've acquired this material legally and ethically....otherwise, I would not have made the purchase.

Hope this answers your question..at least somewhat,

Kathleen

Here's a link that addresses the issue. Baleen and other whale products are legal to own and sell in the US and most other places as long as the proper paperwork and provenance can be shown (in other words, if it was originally legally obtained and you obtained it legally as well). The devil is in the details with Fish and Game and UN CITES bureaucracies, of course.

Boone Trading Company

• 1 month later...

Baleen is from the mouth of krill eating whales - primarily the blue whale I believe. I should think it would be very linear - all fibers go in one direction - and hence tend to split along its principle axis. It is also very fibrous similar to asbestos (for those who have ever handled that mineral).

The specimens of baleen I have seen have normally been black, as is yours. I imagine a place like Mystic Seaport or museums in Salem MA would have examples of carved baleen as it was something used by whalers to work. And yes, indeed, it was used to make ladies corsets.

I have a quarter round section of a fossil vertabral disc from a whale I found on the beach at Point Barro AK.

Have fun w/your baleen and let us see how it comes out!

Ralph (who started life as an oceanographer)

Archived