toscano

Guest ford hallam

Thanks, Toscano.

you know that it's a good idea to keep a mammary gland wrapped up in newspaper,....to keep abreast with the times. :D

hey! you started this nonsense. ;)

Guest ford hallam

Greetings Old Greek,

I bet the Pantagon wishes they had 300 of those ancestors of yours to help deal with their own Persian problem. :D

best wishes to you and yours too,

Ford ;)

hey stranger,

you let them know, we kicked butt! :D

( obscure classical reference ) :)

From a classical point of view and virtually undertaking a classics degree (withough the languages) with my gf, who kicked whose butt? :D

Don't get me wrong just wanting to figure out. As from a classical point of view Thermopylae is a defeat which bought time to the greeks for a "larger" victory against the "Barbarians of the East".

Hey have you had a chance to watch Terry Jones' Barbarians series? quite a good show.

As for Toscano's idea I will only defend Thermopylae if I can get proper insurance and if they guarantee me some shade for the fighting (oops have the impression that that last request wasn't such a good idea) ;)

Guest ford hallam

Hyllyn, you old pedant! :D

the reference isn't strictly classical, I was updating the gist of the inscription on the stone that marks the battle. It is true that King Leonidas and his 300 Spartan hoplites ( who were also joined by 1000 or more other Greek soldiers ) all fought to the death, but they took 20 000 Persians with them. I reckon that must class as "kicking butt" in any language. ;)

For those of you who aren't particularly up on your ancient battles, this one took place over 3 days sometime in 480 BCE, starting at 8:23am ish :) . The Persian army of the emperor Xerxes, numbering 200 000, was delayed at a narrow mountain pass, Thermopylae. The Inscription I referred to ( which is in Greek ) says something like; " stranger, passing by, go tell the Spartans that here, according to their laws, we lie"

regards and such, ford

Archived