Next piece

Janel

I've been working this pre holiday time too. The netsuke convention is coming up in a month, and I want to have some true netsuke this time, with himotoshi. The time remaining for work requires that the the time be spent on less comples pieces than you have seen me do. I am up for the fun challenge, to see what I can do and still grow with the pieces.

This is being carved from a piece of Japanese boxwood that was a gift from Masami Sakai, a Japanese netsuke carver. I intend to open the little pumpkin and inset a seed clump, with the mouse holding and eating a seed. I think the seed will be a part of the interior seed clump, which will likely be mammoth ivory. Other features will develop as the piece progresses. It is a very hard piece of wood!

mouse_pumpkin_w.jpg

While I'm at it, I'll show you the new arrangement made this summer to accomodate antique drawer chests. The drawers are small, but are ideal for the many little bits of things I have managed to collect. Materials and inspirational bits and pieces. I love drawers!

The desk I used to use for carving was a perfect height, but the chest made it necessary to change the arrangement. Now the drawers on the old drafting desk hold my tools and other low profile things, such as sand paper, the NSK bits, and ... stuff. I am still trying to get the desktop arrangement to suit the length of my arms. The windows are south facing, so on couldy days the blinds can be open, sunny days, not.

Oh! I found some lights that use full spectrum bulbs, and they are great to work with! They worked well for the photo of the piece in progress.

I do hope that eveyone has a very nice holiday week, and also a happy and rewarding New Year!

jjbench_w.jpg

jjroom_w.jpg

Menards! The bulb in the black elbow lamp on the dust collector is a single purchase, screw in fluorescent spiral tube. The display line up had all of the wearing-out warm-light fluorescent bulbs and the full spectrum bulb stood out strongly. It is a very nice change.

I kept feeling like something was missing when using the other type of bulbs, and when using the digital camera, it also reproduced images with something missing, even when using preset white balance to the former bulbs. I think this is a nice change.

The metal desk lamp was found in the lighting department priced at 34 something, but rang up at about 20. The black floor lamp was a special at about 20. These two have a connected flat, four-tube bulb for more light output, though they are not overly bright. They are somewhat like the Sunbox light, but not nearly as bright. I have one on my computer desk, and grew to appreciate it more and more.

Off the sales platform, except that I strongly suggest folks try the full spectrum fluorescent bulbs if they can, to see how it feels and illuminates your work space. Now, they may not all be alike, but keep looking. Oh, I left the light on while taking a quick trip to the house, and through the window at afternoon winter dusk, the light emanating from the lamp lit the snow similarly to the ambient remaining sky light. The flood lamp on a little building between the house and studio uses an incandescent bulb which made an orange/yellow circle on the snow. Interesting comparison. OK now I will step down.

• 2 weeks later...

Has that friendly little wood rat gnawed a himotoshi there by the end of his (her?) tail? Must be nice to have such helpful little buddies in the studio... My little helpers just seem to knock things over, or borrow tools that they don't put back in the right place, although they did vacuum the floor for New Years.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived