New desktop gallery

Patrick Hastings

Guest DFogg

Beatuiful work Patrick.

I am curious about the photogallery. Is it difficult to setup and maintain. It is an excellent way to catalog your work.

Thanks for sharing.

Beatuiful work Patrick.

I am curious about the photogallery. Is it difficult to setup and maintain. It is an excellent way to catalog your work.

Thanks for sharing.

I thought it was a perk from internet hosting site. It appeared in my control panel for the website as a plug in option. So the programing was already installed on my server I simply started uploading pics and choosing color, backrounds, and the like. Well I found out not long ago its actually freeware and anybody can use it. You can get all the detail about it here Gallery home page How complicated it is to install and maintian I imagine is relative.

Because it was already installed on my server its been a no brainer. I wanted to put a return link to my blade fittings home page and it turns out this is hugely complicated for someone who does not know the programming language (like myself) I read a tutorial on it but it was all greek to me hehe.

Do you have any more images of snails? It is still frozen here so I won't be seeing snails for close to four months! It is time to begin researching these critters for a piece in the future.

Janel

Thanks for sharing your joy!

Do you have any more images of snails?  It is still frozen here so I won't be seeing snails for close to four months!  It is time to begin researching these critters for a piece in the future.

Janel

Thanks for sharing your joy!

Hi Janel, Glad you enjoyed the pics. I made a Small snail study for you out of the pics I have. It is on the second page of the macrolife gallery.snail study

• 2 months later...

Patrick,

Very beautiful photos!! Thanks for sharing! :)

I also like macro! Several time back I maked a similar mini photo gallery on my website to show for my friends. If anyone have any interest, this here.

Janel, you want to see the photo of snails from Ukraine? I have several photos with good enlargement.

Sergey

Thank you, Patrick!

As judged by some photos - you use a serious camera! :) What type? I can not take photo from far cry, and I think over buying other camera.

I must find the balance between the price and quality. What maximum focal length(mm) you may recommend? I want to have a possibility to take pictures the birds.

Sergey

Thank you, Patrick!

As judged by some photos - you use a serious camera! :) What type? I can not take photo from far cry, and I think over buying other camera.

I must find the balance between the price and quality. What maximum focal length(mm) you may recommend? I want to have a possibility to take pictures the birds.

Sergey

There are probably better choices by now but I have a Sony DSC-F828. The price has come down on them to around $700, but I paid allot more :). I am not all that camera litterate I just learn as I go. I wanted good Macro and zoom with as much quality as I could get for the money. I ended up with this camera which I am fairly pleased with. It is 8MP has massive memory options, takes decent video, Battery life is outstanding. It has a Non interchangable 58mm lens with 7X optical zoom and it will focus within an inch of the subject. See the picture of the lizard head. I nearly hit him with the camera. he was nice enough hold still for me. I love this camera and there are only two things I don't like. one is an occasional blue highlight where there should be a white highlight. this happens mostly with distant scenic shots where there is bright sun, but it happens with some macro shots too when there is direct sunlight involved. Second is the camera is heavy. I would definitly recommend a wide padded strap to take on long walks. I am very happy with the camera and it is loaded with features. Its very easy to use and takes good automatic pictures, but still has tons of advanced options for me to cut my teeth on.

Sony home page for 828

post-40-1116446781.jpg

Patrick, thank you for helps!

Your camera looks very good! :)

Just now I see catalogue from May 2004 for digital cameras for Ukraine. Hmmm... $1400 USD for Sony DSC-F828! :) Possible, the price changed. I must learn the prices for today.

We will wait the new photos in your gallery!!

Sergey

My Website

Patrick, thank you for helps!

Your camera looks very good! :)

Just now I see catalogue from May 2004 for digital cameras for Ukraine. Hmmm... $1400 USD for Sony DSC-F828!  :)  Possible, the price changed. I must learn the prices for today.

We will wait the new photos in your gallery!!

Sergey

My Website

That is a high price. There are dealers in the US who sell this camera for $700 last I checked. I don't know what kind of fees or taxes you would have to pay to import one from the US, but it might be worth looking into...

(written by DanM's son)

If you are interested in something much cheaper and 4 megapixels is good enough for you, consider the nikon coolpix 4500. At 4 megapixels you can print high quality 8x10s. I've even had pictures from it printed at about 2x3ft and it still looks pretty good.

They don't make them anymore, but for the time period it was the best digital camera for macro photography. It's small, light weight, and relative cheap now. You can focus at less than an inch away from the subjest.

One really nice thing is that the lens is entirely contained in the camera and doesn't stick out when you zoom. Because of this you can use the flash for close up pictures. On most cameras the zoomed out lens blocks the flash.

You can probably find them on ebay. I got a refurbished one from B&H and have since taken about 15,000 pictures and not had any problems.

Here's a few pictures from that camera:

http://crazybutable.com/photolog/index.php?showimage=127

http://crazybutable.com/photolog/index.php?showimage=98

http://crazybutable.com/photolog/index.php?showimage=96

Sergey,

I forgot to add, $1400 is a really expensive price.  I'm not sure what Patrick's camera would cost here, but I checked the price of Rik's and it was $700 CDN and will be going on sale in the Fall.  Perhaps there's someone you could make arrangements with to get one for a better price.

Kathleen

Yes, I think this is a good idea! :) I have several friends in USA, and I can ask that they bought and sent this for me. In any event, this will be a good economy, I think.

Thanks!

(written by DanM's son)

If you are interested in something much cheaper and 4 megapixels is good enough for you, consider the nikon coolpix 4500.  At 4 megapixels you can print high quality 8x10s.  I've even had pictures from it printed at about 2x3ft and it still looks pretty good. 

They don't make them anymore, but for the time period it was the best digital camera for macro photography.  It's small, light weight, and relative cheap now.  You can focus at less than an inch away from the subjest. 

One really nice thing is that the lens is entirely contained in the camera and doesn't stick out when you zoom.  Because of this you can use the flash for close up pictures.  On most cameras the zoomed out lens blocks the flash. 

You can probably find them on ebay.  I got a refurbished one from B&H and have since taken about 15,000 pictures and not had any problems.

Here's a few pictures from that camera:

http://crazybutable.com/photolog/index.php?showimage=127

http://crazybutable.com/photolog/index.php?showimage=98

http://crazybutable.com/photolog/index.php?showimage=96

Very good photos! I have looked and others on website also.

Thank you!

About camera. I wanted to find the camera and for macro and for distant photos also. I often see the interesting birds, but I can not take pictures them with my camera.

I saw very strange frogs recently! They much interesting sing! And become filled with air herewith as air ball and sail on surfaces of water. Much drolly!! :) I have spent about hour to stalk closer. But they very careful! They have released the air from itself and and have swum away in depth! I not was able even consider them well!

I wonder what that frog is? What an interesting adaptation! Do you have binoculars that might help you see them better from afar?

Stalking frogs is not the easiest thing to do. It is hard to blend into the background when the human is so large compared to the frog! I have fun trying to imagine you in pursuit of the creature :) .

Janel

I wonder what that frog is?  What an interesting adaptation!  Do you have binoculars that might help you see them better from afar?

Stalking frogs is not the easiest thing to do.  It is hard to blend into the background when the human is so large compared to the frog!  I have fun trying to imagine you in pursuit of the creature  :) .

Janel

I do not know what type. This too far to see! I have a no binoculars also. I can see only that frog more gray, than green. And she not very big. And sings much-much strange. More as cicada, not as frog! Hmmm...

I asked my friend that he bought camera Canon PowerShot S1 IS for me. Possible in July this camera will arrive to me. So I hope to have time to to take pictures these frog in this summer else.

Anybody had any experience with Canon PowerShot S1 IS?

Sergey,

I believe that you might have seen and heard a male toad. Our toads whirrrrrrrr at great length when announcing themselves to the female toads. For us, it happens later, when the weather and water has warmed up.

Janel

Archived