Dream about spring!

Natasha

Hello Natasha,

Amazing! What is the size? I know there have been posts already but can you show me some close ups of your most common carving tools? I have some old fine steel lathing tools from my grandfather, maybe there is a way to alter them, they are very tiny. I still have around 2kg of mammoth tusk here and I want at least once to try carving it. Or maybe I start with some other hard wood, but I want to try it. What are the little tick and the drops made off(nacre and rock crystal?)? It looks beautiful but I think I couldn't glue anything on a carving like that!

Thank you,

Dino

Thank You, toscano and Dino! :)

The size is 5.6 cm. The dew-drops were done from acryl glass, it is a pity, to work with any stone is very difficult for me, I have not any needed tools for such hard things as stones! To find nice stones in Moldova is hopelessly! Sighs!

Dino, when You begin to carve mammoth, it'll be your favorite raw! :) It is almost as box-wood, a little bit harder, but it lets You to carve very tiny details! I use the same tools for mammoth and box-wood! There is nothing new! I'll send the photo of my tools a little bit later, something wrong with my Adobe Photoshop! :lol:

Thanks for the fast pictures. They look like dentist tools! I think some are really, aren't they? If you had put something typical beside it (matchbox, teaspoon) I could guess the size better, but one can tell. I will google around a bit to read more about techniques.

This stuff is hard! You're sure it's like boxwood? Took me about 15 minutes to make a 1mm scratch. But I only have very cheap small scale tools. They bow to the mammoth! Or is some tusk harder than the other? I mean I know from sanding some two three inlays that it's harder than my wood, so I had to be carefull not to get on different levels because the wood disappeared and the mommoth rested :lol: But carving with that? Anyway, I will try some time and let you know about my progress.

Hi all, hi Natasha, congratulations for your work, it's a poetic carving. You are comming in the world of Jim, with the better way. About mammoth, the only piece i carved, gave me a good memory. The colour, like a toffee, and the raw material, very nice, a real pleasure to carve. You can make all you want, with a lot of details. It's more interesting than boxwood, because you can go more far in the work. I thing that it is like elephant ivory.

Hi Sergio!

Thank You for your nice words! Yes, mammoth is almost like elephant, but elephant better! :)

Elephant is more viscid, because has more organic, mammoth has more chalk! :lol: But mammoth is more comfortable for me than others! :)

Dino, I don't carve mammoth, I usually scrape! I carve only hairs, eyes, nails and other tiny details! The rough shape I do with three different graver-machines! :)

There is some photos in work, how I carved this sculpture!

Oops, it is bigger than I've thought! :) I should ask Janel to do it smaller! The size of sculpture is about 13 cm.

post-215-1170880213.jpg

post-2-1170895790.jpg

I get the picture! But still, what a work to do. I've tried it with my dremel-like tool here, too. Probably need better chisels or whatever the round engraving tools are called. And to work 'only' the details should be enough on its own. But that encourages me as well, though. I don't like powertools for my woodcarving, but in this case it makes sense. I already saw me sitting here and scraping µm for µm until I have the the first hole done! :lol:

You probably wear a breathing mask when working, don't you? Even I do when hand sanding for the wood dust isn't too good either, but I always forget to buy new ones so I often don't. Hope I won't have to learn the hard way...

I could not bear to make it as small as it should be! The hair details disappeared, so I have reduced it some. It is a complex, dynamic and spectacular sculpture. 13 cm is just a bit over 5 inches. Those fingers. The contrasts.

Thank you Natasha for posting these images!

Natasha, thank you for this pictures…

I’m always fascinated by “the sacrifice” and I understand better the way in which worked you. I hope to have, one day, a little bit of this 3D vision.

I will have another question about your work, all your women have very severe faces, for a warrior, I understand, but for a dancer I understand less…

I hope not to say something stupid, my english is so poor...

continue to fill with wonder me

a+

jct

“I'm a poor lonesome cowboy

I'm a long long way from home”

Hi jkt!

I didn't understand your question absolutely! :) But if I've understood right, the answer is so: I like strong women and I odore Boris Vallejo's women , my collectors too! :) I also visit the fitness club three times a week and go to the shooting-range but not often!!! :)

Sorry, not "odore", right is "adore"! My English is also poor! :lol:

Archived