antler/soapstone

biwolf

For antler, ivory, tagua nuts etc. I use Bandsaw, beltsander, 4" angle grinder with a chainsaw blade for rough shaping. Depending on size of carving. I use a foredom with 1/4 in. shaft tungsten bits for closer roughing and then a small motor tool (dremel, etc.) with bits all the way down to the finest dental bits for detailing. I use flexshafts and a footpedal so I don`t have to stop and change speeds. (they slow your machines down but not a big problem) Shapes of bits, round, inverted cone and flame. In different sizes. For soapstone I use wood chisels, knives, files, rasps and adze and saws. For finishing antler, etc. I sand, polish with zam and buff. If I stain antler I seal it with lacquer then wax.. Soapstone I sand, steel wool and wax. I prefer a more matte like finish so do not go for hi polish work. (probably too lazy)

Thanks Cooch for the description of the tools you use for the various materials. Do you use a dust collector or face mask while working the materials with the power tools?

What is "zam"?

What do you stain antler with (if you are willing to share that).

Do you have a favorite material. That is a tough one for me, since different materials work for different ideas, and I like each for their own strengths.

Thanks Cooch for the description of the tools you use for the various materials.  Do you use a dust collector or face mask while working the materials with the power tools?

What is "zam"?

What do you stain antler with (if you are willing to share that).

Do you have a favorite material.  That is a tough one for me, since different materials work for different ideas, and I like each for their own strengths.

Hi, I use a face mask for most of my work. Zam is a green polishing compound I pick up at gem shows. you can use plastic polish too. White is a good colour as the others can stain material. Clean it up with a bristle wheel. For stain I use tea, coffee and lately, watered down acrylic paint. Paint it on and steel wool it a bit for effect. My favorites are whatever I`m working with at the time, right this week, it`s moose horn. I`m preparing for the B.C. Gem show, Apr. Ist weekend so am working in argillite,tagua,elk, jet , jade and moosehorn in small pieces.

My experience is in carving in wood, but am very interested in carving small, detailed projects in different materials, ie: antler, stone, tagua, etc. My question is I am considering purchasing an air driven tool such as a Turbo Carver or GRS tool. Do you use these types of tools and what are your comments on them regarding a useful carving instrument.

Welcome Paul, (is that your name?)

We have a topic - Power carving tool ? - in the forum: Tools & Technical which has been discussing a few kinds of power rotary tools or microgrinders. That would be the place to ask about the air driven tools. I am not sure the air driven has been talked about yet, but it has a place in that discussion. Please have a look over there and fire away with the questions!

While you are at it, introduce yourself somewhere in the Who's Who forum. Do you have any images which you would like to share with us?

Thanks for becoming a member!

Janel

I`m preparing for the B.C. Gem show, Apr. Ist weekend so am working in argillite,tagua,elk, jet , jade and moosehorn in small pieces.

Hi Biwolf, is this the gemshow in Abbotsford, if so I will probably see you there.

My company sets up a display every year (Jade West). I usually go in and do the set up and take down, and I pop in and buy materials.

Hope to see your stuff in person. :lol:

Dean

Hi Biwolf, is this the gemshow in Abbotsford, if so I will probably see you there.

My company sets up a display every year (Jade West). I usually go in and do the set up and take down, and I pop in and buy materials.

Hope to see your stuff in person. :)

Dean

Yeah Dean, that`s the one. I know your outfit. I demonstrate bone carving, etc. and will have a display. I have been involved since they were in Delta. See you there. cooch

• 3 years later...

Janel,

I work with antler a lot. I use shoe polish to stain the antler. If you want it to set up, use a small torch to heat the antler after you apply the polish. It will draw the polish into the antler. Be careful to not get it too hot or it will burn.

Archived