Maki-e Pen

Hi Folks,

There seems to be a large interest on this list for Japanese style art, so I thought I would post a picture or two of a recently finished project. This is one of my freeform styled fountain pens. The body is made from a modern celluloid, and the metal trim is copper/nickel silver mokume gane. For the serious pen nuts out there it is an eyedropper filler with a 14k gold nib. The stand is weighted hard maple. I machined the pen and carved it myself. I then sent it off to have the maki-e work done by a Canadian artist. Andrew Curle trained in Japan in traditional decorative work. Andrew filled the area around the cap band to give it an inlaid look. Abalone chips, gold and other metal dusts, and REAL urushi were used.

The first image shows the pen uncapped. The section has also been fully worked like the barrel and cap. The second image shows the pen capped.

Comments are always welcome, even if you don't like it!

David

post-322-1173978862.jpg

post-322-1173979014.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hello again, David,

lovely to see such delicate and elegant work. I had a quick peek at your site, really appreciated the Persian style blades. I enjoyed the sinuous-ness ( if that's even a word? ;) ) you worked into them. The Japanese themed pens are pretty impressive too. I'd love to see a close of the Koi design, if it isn't too much trouble.

and welcome to the club :rolleyes:

cheers, Ford

Thanks, Ford. I appreciate the compliments.

The Persians are one of my favorite styles of knives to make. They allow for lots of curves. "Sinuous-ness" sounds like a word to me!

"Koi" was my first Japanese themed fountain pen. It was made about 4 years ago. I'm afraid there are no other pictures, including closeups of the engraving. Sorry.

David

Archived