Sketchbook of Yamazaki Ken Meiji 25

Dick Bonham

Hi,

I just picked up a sketchbook by Yamazaki Ken which was drawn in Meiji 24 (1892). There are over 100 drawings in this sketchbook which include people, animals, flowers, landscapes and creatures from mythology. There are designs for bokuto, pipe cases, inro and designs of pieces with multi related panels. There are round designs for mirrors or netsuke. Many of these drawings show how the design evolved and how a grid was used to transfer the sketch to the inro. I hope you enjoy this insight into an artist of the Meiji era.

Dick

post-15-1174160221.jpg

post-15-1174160242.jpg

post-15-1174160254.jpg

post-15-1174160269.jpg

post-15-1174160284.jpg

post-15-1174160302.jpg

Thank you! These sketches are very interesting. Seeing the underlying sketches, blocking in the shape of some of the figures, is like having a look at the artist's though processes. The work becomes a little more alive in a way.

Hi Janel and Jim,

I thought the sketches show how very important drawing is to the design process. I just received the sketch book today from Japan and haven't had a chance to research the artist. Here is another sketch of a landscape which is divided into four sections and colored.

Dick

post-15-1174165684.jpg

Hi Dick

I would love Tom's idear. Probebly a lot of work but I think you make a lot of people happy. Well at least you would make tom and me happy!!!

Drawings are very interesting, I wonder how you got the book and what the price would be..... A furtune right?!?!?!?!?

Hope to see this Ibook some day....

cheers b_art

Archived