new pc. for "Hot Tea" @ delMano Gallery

Attached images must have gone to the internet abyss so here it is again... sorry

bon jour mes amie

here is a pc. I just finished for an annual exhibit "Hot Tea" at delMano Gallery in Los Angeles....

enjoy....

"Relic of a Tidal Tea Time" 2007 7" x 6" x 7" H carved/textured cherry, oxidized silver with blue patina, opal, acrylicpost-189-1174491775.jpg post-189-1174491822.jpg post-189-1174491838.jpg post-189-1174491869.jpg

Hi Jaques

That looks interesting. Nice work! How did you get the hollow space inside? Lathe? So the spout is a seperate piece then, i guess. And forgive my question: Where is the opal? The nails at the handle? Or is it just a kind of pigment used for the finish?

Teatime!

Dino

Hi Jaques

That looks interesting. Nice work! How did you get the hollow space inside? Lathe? So the spout is a seperate piece then, i guess. And forgive my question: Where is the opal? The nails at the handle? Or is it just a kind of pigment used for the finish?

Teatime!

Dino

vielen Dank Dino

This piece started on the lathe, with the shoulder left very thick... then sculpted to the form before texturing.

The spout is a separate piece but didn't need to be... I orginaly thought I would make the spout out of a contrasting wood but then went with the cherry in the end... I think it would have been a distraction from the rest of the form.

The opal is at the base of the metal handle caught in the groove of the form... photos don't do it justice... it is a beautiful, high end piece of opal meant to look like a shard of shell or other ocean debris lodged in the space from the surf.....

As for the nails and the handle... all are sterling silver, formed then heat treated and patinated with chemicals to create the color.....

good questions... I hope my answers are clear

bis folgendes Mal

Jacques

Thanks Jaques!

Good answers :D I actually did see the opal then but thought it was kind of a strange reflection. Also being there only one I thought you wouldnt break the symmetrie of the rest like that. Not that I mind at all, I don't go for symmetry myself! It really looks like a piece of shell cought in the crack of a rock! And now I do get the name of it! :(

Now another question I hardly dare asking: Is it really for use or "only" an object? Because I think cherry as well as plum are very apt to crack...

You're not really french, are you? ;) But I appreciate very much your efforts in other languages,

Vielen Dank,

Dino

@Don: Hi Don

Nice frog carving! What's the size of it? And why not open a new thread?

D.

Guest ford hallam

Hello Don,

that's a lovely little fella you've created. I can just imagine the glossy finish, with some textured areas, of the antler really suggesting the delicacy of the tiny frog. The ruby eyes must be quite a gorgeous finishing touch too. Any chance we could see some bigger images? :D

Also, and I hope this doesnt sound too school-marm-ish, it might be better to post your own work in a new thread. You'll more likely get the feed-back it deserves and it won't be detracting from Jacques work. It just helps to keep us focused, we do tend to get side-tracked easily, us creative types! ;)

and welcome aboard,

cheers, Ford

I like asymmetry as well and the opal becomes a hidden treasure [almost]... my intention was a subtle distraction.

As for use, almost all the teapots I have made can be used [ well in the sense that they have the proper openings and such] and some have been gilded on the interior also... they are always finished in some way on the inside, but the true intent is as an artist/ scuplturual interpetation. The bottom line? There is a large amount of teapot collectors out there and with what they pay for these things, I don't expect they will use them... but hey, after the check is deposited, they can do whatever they want with it , right? :D:(

And no, I am not french, just of swiss french decent [ with lots of Italian and some german mixed in]. If you think my german and french are bad, you should here me speak english? :) { I grew up in New Jersey close to NY city} ;)

A' bientot

And no, I am not french, just of swiss french decent [ with lots of Italian and some german mixed in]. If you think my german and french are bad, you should here me speak english? :( { I grew up in New Jersey close to NY city} ;)

A' bientot

That sounds like a good blend :D Some Italian I have also in way back, but nothing to do with my name. That was a caprice? of my mother. My french is quite alright in conversation but it would be difficult for me to chat in a forum like this. Especially with all the irregular endings in all the strange terms like subjonctiv, futurI, futurII etc. I would know where to look them up but it'd take ages...talking is easier.

but hey, after the check is deposited, they can do whatever they want with it , right?

In a way, yes. But sometimes I think there are people that I wouldn't want to touch my work. But one can't always chose...

a+,

Dino

Archived